Restrict New Site Creation to Communications Site only in SharePoint Online

Microsoft

Hi, 

My Cx would like to block the creation of New Teams Site in SPO for all their end-users and keep only a New Communications Site only option available. this should not restrict SPO Admins from creating a New Teams site from within SPO Admin Portal. 

is this doable ? 

5 Replies

Disable Creation to only a few people and a service account. Create a forms and a flow that creates Communication site. That should solve it

Just blocking team sites for users isn't possible currently...

HI @NicolasKheirallah, can you elaborate more on your approach ? am not that SPO Expert.

@aalankar

Yes, it is possible to block the creation of new Microsoft Teams sites in SharePoint Online for end-users while allowing SharePoint Online administrators to create Teams sites. This can be done using the following steps:

1. Set up a policy: You can set up a policy in the SharePoint Online admin center to restrict the creation of Teams sites for end-users. To do this, go to the SharePoint admin center, click on Policies, and then create a new policy to restrict the creation of Teams sites.

2. Assign the policy: You can assign the policy to the relevant end-users by going to the Users section in the SharePoint admin center and selecting the end-users that you want to apply the policy to.

3. Allow administrators to create Teams sites: You can allow SharePoint Online administrators to create Teams sites by granting them the necessary permissions in the SharePoint Online admin center.

By following these steps, you can restrict the creation of new Teams sites for end-users while still allowing SharePoint Online administrators to create Teams sites if necessary. Keep in mind that these policies may change in the future, so it's always a good idea to check the latest information from Microsoft documentation to ensure that you are up to date.

(external link removed by moderator)

Hi @Mark_Albin, thank you for your reply. however, i don't see any option to create a new policy under SharePoint Online Admin site. when i navigate the Policies, i see only two options: 1) Sharing, 2) Access Control. non of these options includes a creation of new policy.
First follow this:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/solutions/manage-creation-of-groups

This will restrict who can create new groups and sites. SP Admins can still create.

2. Follow this guide (Not my link):
https://www.sharepointeurope.com/create-a-simple-teams-creation-workflow-using-power-automate/

Just skip the sensitivity label part as you probably don't need that. If the guide isn't sufficient I can create a simpler one :)