Recurring Events issue in a SharePoint Online site.

Copper Contributor

I have created a Calendar List (App) and added recurring Birthdays and Meetings on it. I added an event web part on the home page and I want to display all current events(Birthdays & Meetings) but for some odd reasons.

On the web part properties, when I select the Events List on this Site in the Source dropdown, all my recurring Birthdays are not showing.

When I select This Site on the Source dropdown and I select All upcoming events in the Date Range dropdown, the web part is displaying all previous and future events irrespective of which option I select in the Date Range dropdown field.

Reuben_Ndlovu_0-1590735692755.png

Is there a workaround for this issue?

I will appreciate any feedback...

Reuben Ndlovu(Reuben_Ndlovu)

5 Replies

I am having the same issue.  I have not found a solution for it yet.

@Reuben_Ndlovu 

This response is 1,5 years late, but for anyone finding this 

I made a work around with Automate.. I had this issue with birthdays of coworkers, so I copied every birthday to a new Sharepoint Event List (easy to do in Outlook, just drag 'em from one calender to the next) and made it without reccurance.

My flow checks every month if one or more birthdays is in the past and increments it's year by one. 

Steps:

1. Create a flow and set a recurrence trigger for once a month
  2. Initialize two variables, one called this_date and one called end_date
  3. Then add an action 'Get Items' from Sharepoint. Select the site and the list name. Make sure you have access to the Sharepoint-site
  4. Add an Apply to Each with the output-value from above list
  5. Add a Condition checking if the Start Time in the event is 'less than' the expression utcNow()
  6. If Yes: set the two variables from before with the value of Start Time and End Time
  7. Add a Sharepoint action 'Update Item' 
  8. Again select the Site and the List
  9. Set the ID and Title the same as the current value
  10. Set Start Time and End Time with this expressions 
    addToTime(variables('this_date'),1,'Year') for Start Time
    addToTime(variables('end_date'),1,'Year') for End Time

That's it!

Some screenshots for support. I won't share the flow itself because it contains my data.

gclodder_0-1638088173248.png

gclodder_1-1638088193915.png

@Reuben_Ndlovu 

For a list to be selectable in the dropdown under "Events List" for "Events list on this site", it needs to be of the template "Events" (TemplateID 106). You will need to delete your calendar app and recreate it as an events list. 

It seems that this is unfortunately no longer possible through the UI, but it is easy using PNP Powershell:

New-PnPList -Title MyBirthdaylist -Template Events

But that won't help you with recurring events. The Events Webpart seems to explicitly filter out all recurring events:

<Eq>
  <FieldRef Name="fRecurrence"/>
  <Value Type="Boolean">0</Value>
</Eq>