Picture Library - Photo will not open in full screen

Steel Contributor

I'm not sure how to explain this.  We have multiple folders of photos in a picture library.  When you open a folder, the pictures show in thumbnails, which is all good.  However, if I click on a photo, it opens in a full screen showing the image name, description etc but NO IMAGE.  

I've included a screenshot.  The only way to show it in full screen is to click on the 3 dots > Open then back, X the picture, then again.  What a pain.  We cant' use slideshows as all our pictures are in separate folders.  

5 Replies
Not sure what kind of sourcery created that screenshot but I've never seen that, can you snip the previous view with thumbnails? Are you using classic or modern UI for the library? The modern UI is pretty nice for photo libraries.

Ha ha Microsoft Paint lol.  Here is the images in thumbnail.  When we click on the item, it opens in a modern view but no image.  

Looks like your using a page and embedding a classic page, or your using the list web part, which doesn't really work well for photo library. You have to use the direct link to a view for the photo library to get the proper experience. Have you looked at maybe using the image gallery webpart and pointing at the library? It probably won't have folders etc. thou would most likely be the issue.

I went to Insert > web part > and selected teh Pictures Library I had created.  I then changed the current view to be thumbnails.  This works great with folders.  We can't delete our folders so does this mean we can only view images in thumbnails and cannot view them f

I would recommend modern UI for your photo library, the limited screenshot view looks like your still in some kind of classic view adding webparts to a page to me? The modern UI photo library is much better experience. If you go to Site contents, then navigate to the library, can you screenshot that whole screen? 

If should look more like this if it's modern UI. 

Capture.JPG