Permission required to run the Microsoft Teams Powershell module

MVP

Hi All,

I have installed the Microsoft Teams PowerShell module and when I use it to fetch the list of Teams created in our tenant by running " Get-Team" command it doesn't return anything . I'm using my global admin account and it doesn't have any product license assigned to it . However ,when I try the same in a different tenant using the global admin account that has the product license assigned to it , it does return all the values . So I would like to know whether any Office 365 product license is required to make use of the Teams PowerShell module .

7 Replies
Teams PowerShell module is currently fully functional in regards of the information you can get with Get-Team...to answer your question, you need to have the licenses required to access to Teams since Get-Team returns the Teams your user is member of

Get-Team only returns teams *you* belong to. Yes, it's crappy like that. Wait for a better version :)

If my account is global administrator, it should be able to query *all* teams.  It's kind of useless that it currently queries only teams that I belong to.

I agree and that has been the biggest headache for us.  How are Global Admins supposed to manage/maintain a system like this "Teams" release that basically promotes anarchy in the default form.  In my opinion MS just wanted to let this monster go and see what happened.  From a compliance perspective if you did not disable Teams within a month of the Release, people started creating their own Teams without understanding what was happening in the back end.  It took me almost a week to figure out where to see how many sites and O365 Groups were created and who created them.

The Graph API has already been updated to list "non-owned" Teams, the PowerShell module will follow soon.

Just a quick "assure me question". I am a global admin of tenant. And I cannot with that PowerShell module change Teams picture because of "User does not have permission". I need to be owner of this particular team to get this change. Am I correct? If yes, this does not make a sense to be a global admin...

Seems so, I can only change it for Teams I own... Another limitation of the module.