SOLVED

New items that I add to a SharePoint list disappear du to sync issues.

Copper Contributor

Hi everyone, 

I am currently having an issue with one of my SharePoint lists. Every time I add a new item, it will soon after disappear and an exclamation point will appear next to my list name specifying that my modifications could not be saved. I tried to add new items three days in a row and I still encounter the same issue, however, I have other SharePoint lists (on the same site too) and everything works as usual. 

Do you know what is causing this ? and why it is only on this specific list ? 

Thank you for your help,

Selma

4 Replies
best response confirmed by SelmaA (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @SelmaA 

I understand the frustration you're experiencing with your SharePoint list. The issue you're encountering, where new items disappear and cannot be saved due to sync problems, can be caused by various factors. Here are some possible reasons and solutions to consider:

1. Network or Connectivity Issues: The problem might be related to network connectivity or interruptions during the syncing process. Ensure that you have a stable internet connection when accessing and making changes to the list.

2. Browser Compatibility: Sometimes, certain browser configurations or versions might lead to syncing problems. Try using a different browser or updating your current one to see if the issue persists.

3. List View Threshold: SharePoint has a list view threshold, which can cause issues if you have a large number of items in the list. This threshold restricts the number of items that can be accessed in a single operation. Check if your list has exceeded this threshold, and if so, consider using indexing or filtering to manage the data.

4. Permissions: Check if you have the appropriate permissions to make changes to the list. Ensure that you have the necessary rights to add new items and edit existing ones.

5. Unique Field Constraints: If your list has any unique field constraints, ensure that you are not inadvertently adding duplicate values. This could prevent the item from being saved properly.

6. Corrupted List: There might be a corruption issue with the specific list causing the problem. You can try creating a new list with the same settings and copying the data to see if it resolves the issue.

7. JavaScript or Custom Code: If you have any custom code or scripts running on the list, they could be interfering with the sync process. Review any customizations and debug them to identify potential issues.

8. Third-Party Add-ins: Check if any third-party add-ins or extensions are affecting the list's functionality. Temporarily disable them and try adding new items again.

9. Temporary Glitch: SharePoint online services might experience temporary glitches or outages, leading to syncing problems. Keep an eye on the SharePoint service status for any ongoing issues.

To troubleshoot the issue further, you can also check the SharePoint logs for any error messages or consult your SharePoint administrator for assistance.

Remember to create a backup of your list before attempting any major changes or modifications to ensure you don't lose any data during the troubleshooting process.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue with your SharePoint list. If the problem persists, don't hesitate to seek further assistance from SharePoint support or your organization's IT department. Good luck!

@SelmaA Did you sync your SharePoint list for offline uses?

Are you adding new items from SharePoint list online or from offline synced list?

Check below related Microsoft official documentations and see if you can fine anything related to your issue:

1. Common issues syncing Microsoft SharePoint lists offline 
  2. Use Group Policy to control Lists sync settings 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@Lalit Mohan @ganeshsanap Thank you both for your inputs. Still not working, I will wait and see how it goes by the end of the week. 

It's really weird that the issue is only happening in one specific list that is not different from the others. 

I will update if I find out what was going on. 

Regards, 

Selma

Have you been able to solve this?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by SelmaA (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @SelmaA 

I understand the frustration you're experiencing with your SharePoint list. The issue you're encountering, where new items disappear and cannot be saved due to sync problems, can be caused by various factors. Here are some possible reasons and solutions to consider:

1. Network or Connectivity Issues: The problem might be related to network connectivity or interruptions during the syncing process. Ensure that you have a stable internet connection when accessing and making changes to the list.

2. Browser Compatibility: Sometimes, certain browser configurations or versions might lead to syncing problems. Try using a different browser or updating your current one to see if the issue persists.

3. List View Threshold: SharePoint has a list view threshold, which can cause issues if you have a large number of items in the list. This threshold restricts the number of items that can be accessed in a single operation. Check if your list has exceeded this threshold, and if so, consider using indexing or filtering to manage the data.

4. Permissions: Check if you have the appropriate permissions to make changes to the list. Ensure that you have the necessary rights to add new items and edit existing ones.

5. Unique Field Constraints: If your list has any unique field constraints, ensure that you are not inadvertently adding duplicate values. This could prevent the item from being saved properly.

6. Corrupted List: There might be a corruption issue with the specific list causing the problem. You can try creating a new list with the same settings and copying the data to see if it resolves the issue.

7. JavaScript or Custom Code: If you have any custom code or scripts running on the list, they could be interfering with the sync process. Review any customizations and debug them to identify potential issues.

8. Third-Party Add-ins: Check if any third-party add-ins or extensions are affecting the list's functionality. Temporarily disable them and try adding new items again.

9. Temporary Glitch: SharePoint online services might experience temporary glitches or outages, leading to syncing problems. Keep an eye on the SharePoint service status for any ongoing issues.

To troubleshoot the issue further, you can also check the SharePoint logs for any error messages or consult your SharePoint administrator for assistance.

Remember to create a backup of your list before attempting any major changes or modifications to ensure you don't lose any data during the troubleshooting process.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue with your SharePoint list. If the problem persists, don't hesitate to seek further assistance from SharePoint support or your organization's IT department. Good luck!

View solution in original post