Modern Page Differences in Communications Site

Bronze Contributor

Can someone provide a concise list of differences between a Modern Page in a traditional site and a Modern Page in a Communicaitons Site? 

Thanks,

Rob.

10 Replies
How do you mean modern page in traditional site?
Traditional sites don't have modern page.or do you mean the modern team site?
I think I added a Modern Page into an existing Team Site.
Is that a workbench page? I don't think that you get modern pages in traditional team sites. Is the page you have having a single column and no options to add sections?
Communication sites have webparts like the hero web part. Also there are option to add multiple columns.
In communication sites you can:
(1) Create modern pages that are the same modern pages you can create on a classic SPO page (assuming you are using the modern experience there)
(2) You can create post pages that are modern pages, but with the ability to add comments in the page footer

@Pieter Veenstra wrote:
Is that a workbench page? I don't think that you get modern pages in traditional team sites. Is the page you have having a single column and no options to add sections?
Communication sites have webparts like the hero web part. Also there are option to add multiple columns.

I don't know what a workbench page is.

You can add a Modern Page, it has options for columns, hero web part, sections, etc.

My question is whether a Modern Page in a Communications Site gets more features, and I think the answer is yes. For example, in a team site with a modern page I don't think you can hide the left navigation.

Those are the differences I am looking for, trying to decide whether or not to use a Communications Site as the home for an intranet.

Thanks,

Rob.

Absence of the left navigation is not a feature of a modern page, it's just a feature of communication sites so you should re-phrase your question and compare modern team sites with communication sites
As the root of an intranet I would use a communication site. As a means to get to all the teams site. But then is this still needed? Is SharePoint home not good enough?
Or maybe even the teams app?
I would separate teams from communication. Is the site internal to a team or publishing/communicating information of a team/organisation to the rest of the organisation.

I am trying to compare a Modern Page in a non-Communications site vs. a Modern Page in a Communications Site, I am not sure how else to phrase it. 

I am open to understanding differences that come from the page functions itself, the differences in Web Parts availble, and the difference in features that come from a Communications site.

Hopefully that is more clear?

I was hoping this was an easy question!

Rob

I think i remember an article by @Susan Hanley on this topic, maybe she can point you to it. 

My article was about the differences between Team Sites and Communication Sites - and which one to choose. I don't think there are really any page differences - you can use the same modern web parts on either site. The main site differences are really about permissions - Team Sites use Office 365 Groups and Communication Sites use "classic" SharePoint Groups.

Here's a link to a recent blog post that explains how to choose between a Team Site and a Communication Site and why you might choose one over the other: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3212834/enterprise-applications/what-to-choose-a-communication-.... Hope this helps!