SOLVED

Lookup List Columns not showing up in the Source Column Choices

Copper Contributor

I am creating a list for approvals. I want to use a Lookup list in two of the columns. I created another list called Program Lookup List. It has the following Columns- Program (Which is the original Title Column), JWB Staff Assigned and then some others that I just created to see if they would show up. 

MelissaO915_0-1645110290045.png

After I created this list I went to my Document Approvals List. When I go to Add a Lookup List Column, none of the columns from the list I created seem to populate. I have even tried going to More to add the Lookup list column and I can't see those other columns I created.

MelissaO915_1-1645110474387.png

What am I doing wrong? Have I missed a setting somewhere? 

8 Replies
best response confirmed by MelissaO915 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MelissaO915 what are the column types of those columns in that other list? If they are person/group, choice, multiple lines of text, calculated or Yes/No they can't be used in a lookup. Only single line of text, nu,mber and date/time columns are supported in a lookup.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@MelissaO915 This is a known behavior in SharePoint. As @RobElliott stated, SharePoint lookup columns only support few column types:

Supported Column Types:

• Single line of text
  • Number
  • Date and Time

Unsupported Column Types:

• Multiple lines of text
  • Currency
  • Person or Group
  • Calculated
  • Hyperlink or Picture
  • Custom Columns
  • Yes/No
  • Choice
  • Lookup

Similar thread: Column with lookup doesn't show the selected list columns

Microsoft Documentation: Create list relationships by using unique and lookup columns

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Thank you both for your reply! I appreciate it very much.

@MelissaO915 As I'd given the original reply which was only confirmed by @ganeshsanap I'd have thought my reply should have been marked as the best solution.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott, I didn't see your reply and was only looking at it on my phone. I wasn't aware it made a difference but I went ahead and updated the response. I apologize, this is the first time I have ever posted to this platform.
Gosh it's no problem at all, I was having a grumpy day yesterday so my apologies. Welcome to the community and don't hesitate to keep posting questions.

Rob
Los Gallardos

@MelissaO915 @RobElliott @ganeshsanap 
I believe it is more complicated than either previous responses. 
Calculated Fields of Numeric Type are unsupported, while user-entry numeric are. 
However, Calculated Fields of Single Line Text ARE supported. 
All the fields below in the red bracket are Calculated Text fields in the source list.
I have not investigated all calculated field types. 

drjdbb_0-1689409743427.png

@RobElliott 

hi, sorry for revamping an old topic.

I've created 3 lists.

1 - Vendors (only title field)

2 - Code (Code field and a Lookup to "Vendors"

3 - General

If I add a lookup on "Code" on list 3, Vendor doesn't show up. all the fields are text.

any idea?

thanks a lot

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MelissaO915 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@MelissaO915 what are the column types of those columns in that other list? If they are person/group, choice, multiple lines of text, calculated or Yes/No they can't be used in a lookup. Only single line of text, nu,mber and date/time columns are supported in a lookup.

Rob
Los Gallardos

View solution in original post