Limit of people picker columns in SharePoint Online list

Brass Contributor

Dear all,

we're planning to create a list in SharePoint Online with around 40 columns of type "Person or Group" and some of type "Choice" and "Managed Metadata". On the web I found contradicting information on list limitations. Current understanding is, that the outline above should be feasible within one SharePoint list, however these columns cannot be displayed in one list view, which would not be a problem as we could define use case specific views with subsets of the lookup columns.

Could you add some insights on this?

Thank you and kind regards

Petter

3 Replies

@CuriousProjectUser I think there is limit of 12 columns per list view (person or group, lookup columns, etc.)

Displaying 12 or more columns of the following types can cause a list view threshold error: people, lookup, and managed metadata. Displaying columns of other types will not. 

Documentation: Manage large lists and libraries 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Dear Ganesh,
i can confirm the view limit by observation within a test scenario: created a list with 20 people picker columns. Only 12 of those can be included within one view. However, in another view i can include a different subset of those 20 pp columns without any issues.

We can adapt to the view limit with use case specific views. However, is there some information/documentation on alist limit? (i.e. number of columns within a list)? Or can a view be considered as a database query which is limited for performance reasons, whereas the database itself (here the list) has a much higher threshold?

Kind regards
Philipp

@CuriousProjectUser I don't think there is any hard coded limit for number of lookup / people columns in a SharePoint list.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.