Library settings - country

Copper Contributor

We have many workspaces and we need to add new country to library settings (Column). I have tried to add to column list, but it does not appear and cannot be selected. Is there something I´m missing here?

9 Replies

@SauPom You can add new column in library either from library view using "Add column" option or from library settings under "Columns" section.

From list view: 

ganeshsanap_0-1661189714611.png

While creating a new column, make sure you are adding it to necessary content types in your library: 

ganeshsanap_1-1661189771970.png

Then after adding new documents to library, you can set value of this column from "Properties" or from "Details pane": 

ganeshsanap_2-1661189890275.png

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

Thanks for your message. Sorry I explained my issue wrong. As we have more than 1000 workspaces and we need to get this new country added to them all and I don´t know how to do it. I have tried to add it to top level, but how to get it applied to all workspaces? 

Sharepoint.JPGSharepoint1.JPG

@SauPom What do you mean by "all workspaces"? Are you talking about multiple sites in a tenant OR multiple document libraries in a site OR multiple folders/content types in a document library?

If you are trying to add country metadata against multiple documents in a library, you can use "Edit in grid view" option to update metadata of multiple documents at a time.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

I mean multiple sites, now if I want to have that new country to show up in the country list, I need to open every site and go to "Library settings".  There are "Teams" and "Project" sites

Capture.JPG

@SauPom As you are trying to add column to multiple sites, either you can use content type hub or you have to automate the process to add column to libraries on multiple sites (maybe using PowerShell).

Check: Adding a site column to multiple document libraries 

I am not trying to add column (Country), that is already present in every site. What I need to accomplish is add new country to the country list, so that I don´t have to do it one by one in 1000 sites. Like how to inherit the country list from parent or something like that?

@SauPom How you created choice column in multiple sites initially, manually or using any script/tool?

However, you can use PnP PowerShell to add new choices to existing choice columns. Refer: Add choice to choice field in SharePoint Online 

@ganeshsanap 

We have "Order workspace" button on our Sharepoint and people use that to create our sites.

I have tried your suggestion, but "Country" field is not found from our top level

Capture.JPG

I need to connect directly to site in order to find "Country" field and then I´m in the same situation, that I would have to connect each site individually in order to get new country added. So I can´t use the script that you suggested.

I know that somehow those countries have been added in the past, so that they reflect in all the sites and not just one

I have managed to change the template that creates our sites and now the new country gets added to the new sites. I am still wondering how I am gonna get that country added to the old sites as well.