Launching a PowerPoint file in Slide Show view from Sharepoint Online

Copper Contributor
I have a PPSX file which uses the kiosk mode, because I want the navigation to be through action buttons rather than just simply clicking on the slides. I want to put a link to it on a SharePoint site. Is there a way that I can force the PPTX or PPSX file to launch in slide show mode. I'm guessing you just need to add something onto the end of the hyperlink?
35 Replies

You need to embed the pptx in the SharePoint site page to force run it. 

1. Upload your document to the document library on the SPO site
2. Open the document in a browser rendering mode – should be default in SPO
3. Click File -> Share -> Embed. 

Thanks for you reply.  Unfortunately, this doesn't give the desired effect.  I want the users to progress through the slides using the actions buttons.  The document needs to launch in Slide Show view, in kiosk mode to acheive this.

Hi

if it's possible try to use "Sway"

Thanks for your reply, but I've tried that as well.

I originally saved my PPTX as a PPSX, because I wanted the file to launch as a PowerPoint Show.  I saved it in Kiosk mode, because I wanted my users to click the Actions Buttons in order to progress throught the slides.  Unfortunately, when I put a link to it in SharePoint, it just opens in Normal View instead of Slideshow View.  I tried embedding it, but is disables the kiosk aspect of it.

If I could just get it to launch in the desktop application in a PowerPoint show.  I've seen in other forums that you just need to add a bit of text at the end of the URL.  Something like PowerPointView=PowerPointShow, but I don't know what prefixes it.

Rhian, did you ever find a workaround for this?

I too am facing a similar problem. I just want a direct link to the PPSX to open directly in slide-show mode. But, the recent changes in link generation has killed that.

I posted my question yesterday: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/OneDrive-for-Business/Open-PPSX-in-slide-show-mode/m-p/174092

@Rhian Howell 

Found this at the documentation for PowerPoint.
https://support.office.com/en-us/f1/topic/567ae717-f3cd-4476-9134-c565fb26438f?showContactUsNav=Fals...

We are having the same situation here at the company.

Thanks,

Luiz Lucena

@Rhian Howell  Another way to make this work is to use the File Viewer web part on a SharePoint page. Insert web part on page--locate file to view.  The page will display with the PowerPoint show in kiosk view. The action links will work.

Hi @Rhian Howell 

I found the easiest way is to achieve this is to save your presentation as a Windows Media Video, then upload that version to Sharepoint.

HayleyG_1-1597936910269.png

Hope this helps.

Hayley

The key change is replacing the action parameter with embedview so that animations can be displayed. The manual method is to click Start Slide Show when the PowerPoint file opens in Office Web App.

https://fyano.wordpress.com/2018/06/13/launch-powerpoint-files-into-slideshow-in-office-365/

The key change is replacing the action parameter with embedview so that animations can be displayed. The manual method is to click Start Slide Show when the PowerPoint file opens in Office Web App.

This does not work with latest O365 as far as I can tell...it still opens in edit mode

@Rhian Howell  Another way to make this work is to use the File Viewer web part on a SharePoint page. Insert web part on page--locate file to view.  The page will display with the PowerPoint show in kiosk view. The action links will work.

This works, but the resolution is much worse than the view you receive in the online app. With small text, this can become unreadable in the viewer webpart.

It's now October 2021 and Microsoft still have not fixed this. How difficult can it be?
Save the PpTX to PDF. The links to new data or slides work better.
I tried this. It doesn't work. I get the exact same behaviour it I simply add a file widget. All that happens is when you click the expand button it opens the show presentation as a PowerPoint one. When I tried to submit feedback to Microsoft, after prompted to do so, it then says cluck submit! The exclamation mark has been added, because guess what?!! There was no submit button!!
I am having this same issue and there does not seem to be a real answer or solution even after all these years. Microsoft, please fix this!
Still doesn't work like we want it to...