For the last 2 days all users in my company have been complaining that they cannot open or edit files stored in SharePoint Online with Excel Online. When they try to edit, half of the cells are blank. Once the sheet loads an error pops up that says "Something went wrong." and nothing more. When we try to open sheets in the desktop app, we get another error saying the file is locked.
Can you try install the client of OneDrive for Business (https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/download/). After install, enter your account with the password. In your File Explorer, will appear a new directory on left. Wait while the files synchronize and after, try open your file (.xlsx).
You shouldn't need to do the OneDrive client for this. If anything that might cause more issues. It almost sounds like someone is opening these files with older excel clients locking them. It should tell you as such thou. If you open them all via web all files are acting like this or only some?
If it's all files, I would try from computers outside your company firewall / computers etc. and make sure some kind of web traffic monitors aren't affecting anything and go from there .
I’ve tried from other computers, new accounts... everything. I’m the only IT so no changes were made to our firewalls. It’s all files, even new ones. This isn’t an issue with our network. We are all office insiders. That may be the defining factor.
Yeah, I did that and they are not being incredibly helpful. We primarily use Macs and we can't get fiddler logs from a Mac. This is happening to all file types and we have been unable to edit in the browser or open in the Desktop apps for 2 days now. The crew is getting a little discouraged.