How to disable page edit button using power automate?

Copper Contributor

I want to disable the page edit button in a SharePoint website for the dynamic user. I there any way I can do it using power automate?

6 Replies

@vrashi , I think this is not possible using Power Automate. You need to grant the lower level permissions (like Read/Visitor) to your users in order to hide the Edit button on SharePoint page.

User Permissions and Permission Levels in SharePoint 

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@vrashi 

Power Automate's SharePoint connector now allows you to set item level permissions, so technically it would be possible to come up with some form of scheduled workflow that manipulates the permissions.

I can't see that being all too efficient though and think that it's better to simply manage the permissions.  You mention dynamic users.  Can you share a little more information on this?

@ganeshsanap has given best guidance I thin

@vrashi,

I second @ganeshsanap's reply.  The best thing to do is go to the Pages library settings, and change the permissions of the users' group to either Read or View.  You will need to break permission inheritence (Use Unique Permissions) and the change their permissions. 

Both Edit and Contribute will allow them to see the Page Edit button.  

We are creating site Kind of like Medium (basically a blogging platform) where multiple users can post news post. But we need functionality where one user cannot modify the published news post created by another user. We are brainstorming on how to approach this

@Steven Andrews 

@vrashi, For this requirements, follow below steps:

1. Trigger the flow on page creation event in pages library.
  2. Break the permissions inheritance on the page.
  3. Grant Full control permissions to site owner, Contribute permissions to blog writer and Visitors/Read permissions to other users.

Check below links for step by step implementation of flow:

1. Set list item-level permissions in SharePoint using Flow 
  2. How to manage permissions on a SharePoint List Item using Microsoft Flow – changing Item permissions

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@vrashi 

@ganeshsanap's Power Automate option is probably the best if you want the automation.

If you are following content management protocol for business content structre and security, you should consider defining the users by the "role" they play in the site.  To do this you create a SharePoint group for each role (i.e. Author, Editor, Approver, Consumer, etc.) and define what permissions each role has to each element of the site (the site itself and each list/library within). 

Finally you just add the users to a the SharePoint Group that defines their role.  They will automatically be assigned the correct permissions withint the entire site, no Power Automate flow required.  You can have Power Automate that change their role via forms, data, etc as per @ganeshsanap procedure, but remember rights to content is based on roles not people.  Major rule of content management is "people change, roles remain."

If they change roles, you just assign them to their new role and remove them from the old one if necessary (again by Power automate if you wish), the permissions and ability of the user will immediately change.  In addition, you can have one person fulfilling multiple roles.