How to capture a lookup value in list that will not change if the lookup source changes

Copper Contributor

I have a list used as a table that several other lists read through lookup fields.  On occassion a value in this table will change.  In the other lists I need for that value to remain as it was when the orignal record was created, not change to match the new value.  How can I do this?  The lists are used in grid format; customized forms have not been created.  

3 Replies

@LarrySelvage This is not possible using SharePoint using lookup columns as SharePoint lookup columns are tightly coupled.

If any value in Parent SharePoint list changes, it reflects automatically in child lists based on associated item ID from parent list.

You may need to use other column types instead of lookup columns to store the information in child list.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

@ganeshsanap not the answer I was hoping for, but I appreciate knowing for sure.  One thing I was looking at, but have not yet tried, is to create a workflow that updates an Excel file each time a record is added to a SharePoint list.  I have never created a workflow, but this sounds like it may work.  Thoughts on this path?

Thank you

@LarrySelvage Just want to confirm, are you using SharePoint online or SharePoint 2016? 

If you are using SharePoint online, you can use Power automate flow to update excel file when items are added to SharePoint list.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs