How can I add the "title" (banner) / title area to an existing page?

Copper Contributor

Hi, I created a page by copying another page.  The existing page did not have the title bar with the background image. Is there a way to add this web part?  I do not see it listed under the web parts.

20 Replies

@Ozlem you can save a page (normal or news) as a template and then select that template when you create the new page. It will have all the elements in the original page.

template1.png

template2.png

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Hi there, that is not what the original poster was asking about. In fact, it is the exact opposite of what he was asking about.

He has an existing page that is missing the necessary Title area. Some pages were created by the system (e.g. the home page) and probably should not be deleted and replaced with a new page that is created from the newer templates. The o.p. needs to hand-insert the missing feature into an older page.

I also have this problem. And it seems impossible to do it without risking the home page becoming unavailable after deleting the home page for his Sharepoint site (I already tried this and had to restore the page).

@AMDphreak "that is not what the original poster was asking about. In fact, it is the exact opposite of what he was asking about." Wow, harsh. I've never experienced that so can't help. Maybe someone else can.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@Ozlem Assuming that you are talking about a modern page, you can edit the Title Region and select a layout that includes an image and title as in the attached image.

@Susan Hanley - that only works if you have a title region on the page to edit. That begs the question of how to add the Title Region in the first place.

@Susan Hanley @RobElliott @Mike Williams @Ozlem - I'm also having this same issue. A page was created (owner no longer working at the org) and it has no "Title Region" on the page to edit. The page is integrated heavily into navigation throughout the site, but is not consistent with other pages of similar content and importance, so I need to change its appearance to match others. How do I add that "Title Region" to the existing page above the content sections?

@DayanBoyce 

Had the same problem. You may have copied your homepage (as I did), and it seems you cannot add a title area for that, see  here.

@Ozlem @DayanBoyce @Mike Williams ,

I think you have copied the "Home" page of site to create a new page as mentioned by @jens-haley similar to the steps mentioned in this article: SharePoint Online: Create a blank page without header & title 

In that case, page will not have any header and title. To bring back the header and title settings, you can use below PnP PowerShell:  

Connect-PnPOnline -Url https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/siteName -UseWebLogin
Set-PnPClientSidePage -Identity "MyPage.aspx" -LayoutType "Article"

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

If you are using latest version of PnP PowerShell, you can use below commands: 

Connect-PnPOnline -Url https://tenant.sharepoint.com/sites/siteName -UseWebLogin
Set-PnPPage -Identity "MyPage" -LayoutType "Article"

For more information, check this article: SharePoint Online: Create a blank page without header & title

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

The first command doesn't seem to exist for me, I also tried it in a PS in admin mode, but get the following error:

Connect-PnPOnline : The term 'Connect-PnPOnline' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or
operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try
again.

Is that cmdlet to be installed?

Thanks

@jens-haley You have to first install the PnP PowerShell module. Check below articles for more information: 

1. PnP PowerShell 
  2. Installing PnP PowerShell 

@Ozlem 

Create a new page.

That is the only way I could make it work.

image.png

Hi I found a way to manage!
You need to create a new webpage with (including) a title area. This you must select when creating the page. Name it "home_new.aspx".
Unfortunately now you need to add all the content of you old "home" to your "home_new" manually.
Afterwards rename your old "home.aspx" to "home_old.aspx".
Last step is to rename you newly created "home_new.aspx" to "home.aspx".
If your SharePoint is called now your new home.aspx (including title area) is opened.

Thanks @Matt1401 !!!!

I'm glad I kept looking, this is a simple Bait and Switch to trick the system that I didn't think of. The fact that you still can't just add the title section is <applying corporate filter> ...unfortunate...

you saved me time and frustration

So the bate and switch technique might work, but you can also change the design of your homepage quite easily, just not in the same style that you can on a new page by default.

Hit "edit" and then click on the settings cog in the top right-hand corner of the window. In the widget that appears on the right you should see the option "Change the look". From here you can choose a new theme and then edit the header. Selecting the "extended" option will give you the ability to add a banner.
Hi Matt,

This is actually not the greatest solution.

Within a Site Collection, SharePoint recognizes linked pages by their ID, not the actual link (for some reason...). This means that even though you will swap the addresses, within the same Site Collection you will need to manually go through all places where the Home page was linked, and link it to the 'new page' (in fact, the same address), because it will be redirecting to the one with changed address. It can be handy in case you want to change address of page but in similar case as yours, it's a struggle.

It won't affect links that are used outside of sharepoint environment. But acutally, it's pretty hard to swap links for Home page because it's often linked in many places already...

Hi Dale,

This will not give you the same result as what the author of this thread described - what you have explained will change the site header globally for entire site, while here we're discussing changing the banner for a single page.

@JJ_00 

You're right. The solution given above by creating a new page and then renaming it to the name of old page might not work sometimes if you have any integration based on the page ID.

Hence, you can get back the page title and header back for existing pages easily using the PnP PowerShell commands (mentioned above as well): 

Set-PnPPage -Identity "MyPage" -LayoutType "Article"

For more information, check this article: SharePoint Online: Create a blank page without header & title

Note that you have to first install the PnP PowerShell module. Check below articles for more information: 

1. PnP PowerShell 
  2. Installing PnP PowerShell