Disable Download of Files from Library

Copper Contributor

Looking for some help with a problem that is potentially a deal-breaker for the whole Sharepoint being used in my business: I have files within my libraries that need to be viewed, opened in browser, but not edited or downloaded.

For context, they happen to be Visio files, but the same would be true for Word documents, or Excel spreadsheets, etc. I also need the filtering options on the columns in my library to be available to my audience. And I don't want to have to 'share the files' with specific settings; I want everyone to have the access to the Sharepoint library, to be able to browse all the files, I just don't want them downloaded. 

Disabling editing is currently sorted: I did it by changing the access permissions. But the download button I can't get rid of no matter what I do. I have even gone as far as creating my own access permission level, but none of the options available to me are responsible for download specifically. 

Please see all my screenshots enclosed.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, as it will genuinely stop my team using the Sharepoint if not resolved!!

0 Replies