Delete team site permanently via PowerShell

Brass Contributor

Hi all, 

Sometimes I have the need to delete a team permanently to be able to use the site url and stuff again. 

Process: Delete the Team, go to Azure and delete the group permanently, go to sharepoint and delete the site permanently. No big deal.

To make it easier I wanted to have a PowerShell script doing this job for me. I thought it is the easiest way to do it with the pnp module. Therefore, I use the following commands to delete the group. Works like a charm: 

Remove-PnPMicrosoft365Group
Remove-PnPDeletedMicrosoft365Group

And know I face a problem: I can't delete the team site via PowerShell. I tried: 

Remove-SPOSite (with the SPO module)

Remove-PnPTenantSite

In both cases I get the error message: This site belongs to a M365 group. To delete it, I have to delete the group. But thats what I already did.

Can anyone support here? 

4 Replies

Have you tried running Get-AzureADMSDeletedGroup to see if the Group is still present after the hard delete? 

Office Groups are retained for 30 days after a delete normally. Using the command above will give you a list of Office Groups marked for delete. 

Use Remove-AzureADMSDeletedDirectoryObject to remove the group completely.

Hi @Steve Knutson 

Remove-PnPDeletedMicrosoft365Group is doing the same job. 

To make sure the group deletion is running successfully, I created a new group and deleted it with Remove-PnPDeletedMicrosoft365Group. Afterwards neither Get-AzureADMSDeletedGroup nor Get-AzureADMSGroup show the group. 

@SYN_Dominik Did you ever figure this out? I am running into the same issue. Removing the teams site always says there's a group associated but I've already deleted the group and deleted it from the recycle bin.

Hi @kbeeveer46

unfortunately no update from my side.