Custom List Item details view

Copper Contributor

I have a client I am working with that has me doing quite a bit of custom SharePoint lists and one of their requests has me stumped. I’ll admit, I’m not developer, I’m a Virtualization Engineer but I know enough to get them started and to make the system work correctly. Anyway, they have a list with about 40 items that gets generated from a MS form from their customers. Once the data is submitted from the form it populates in a SharePoint List and a series of employees manipulates the data. This entire process works but now they want to separate the data into groups so that employees aren’t scrolling up and down looking for the data that applies to them. Their goal is (within the item detail view) to have a section for sales, marketing and admins. All the sections can show on the ticket but if I can have a section for each department then they can scroll right to it and have all the data they need appear there. Now I was going to just order the columns so that the data shows in an order that works for all of them but some of this data is shared between departments … like name, address and phone. I need to be able to also display that information in the separated areas. How do I do this?

1 Reply

Hi @MET_FL ,

you can do three things:
1)  Card Designer
Go to your list, switch it to gallery mode and save it as a new view. Then select "Format current view"
ListSettings.png
Now select "Card Designer" and try to order your columns  in a way that makes sense
Card Designer.png
Now your data is displayed more compact as cards
Cards.png

2)  View Formatting
If that is not enough or if you want to have something more visually appealing then you could use "View Formatting"
Go to your view and select "Format current view" and then advanced mode. Here you can enter a formatting json to completely restructure your view using HTML and CSS

Take a look at this sample
https://github.com/pnp/List-Formatting/tree/master/view-samples/product-catalog 
formatting.png
But you need some HTML and CSS Skills to use that.

3) Power App
Or you create a completely new PowerApp to handle your data
See this tutorial here:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/maker/canvas-apps/app-from-sharepoint 

This is advanced but gives you the opportunity to completely re-format the view and the forms of your SharePoint List.

Best Regards,

Sven