CopyTo no "replace with new version" option

Steel Contributor

Hi, I just found out with the new copy To / move To windows in preview in SharePoint and Teams that when you copy a file to another site/teams and the file already exists at destination it will not add as a new version if you specify to replace.... it will just override the file. This option is crucial...

What would be the best solution to have this feature back (other than waiting from Microsoft to fix this)? Does it requires to build an SPFx extension? Is there an existing extension available for this?

Here is the impact of the new copy to/move to window preview available in SharePoint and Teams:

Teams (current copy to command)
- Copy to same teams: overwrite existing file
- Copy to another teams: add as a new version to existing file

Teams (new copy to command/move to window in preview)
- Copy to same teams, overwrite existing file
- Copy to another teams, overwrite existing file

SharePoint (new copy to command/move to window in preview)
- Copy to same site, overwrite existing file
- Copy to another site, overwrite existing file

Bring back the "Replace" option for overwriting files · Community (microsoft.com)

Thanks.

3 Replies
Agree, I found this post while looking for the same option.
Hey I found a reasonable workaround. Instead of copying, download the file to local. Then upload the file to the target sharepoint. When you select "replace" it just addes the file as the latest version.

@Rich_Sudusky Yes I'm aware of this option but not efficient if you need to copy multiple files. This is counterintuitive when you have a "Copy To" function available.... 

Thanks.