Contacts / Address Book

Iron Contributor

Good morning!

Am I blind? Is there no built-in list template or app for a 'Contacts or Address book list' in M365 in 2023???

Yes I can build another............again based on an existing, just wondering why I'm not seeing a template for such an everyday requirement.

Tx

10 Replies
Why do you need an adress book ? You can just search for the person?

@Carl_Williams Unfortunately, no such list template is provided by default by Microsoft yet.

However, you have below options:

1. If you already have similar list in your SharePoint tenant, you can create a new list using the columns in the existing list. Follow: Create a new list based on the columns in another list 
  2. Create your own custom list template in SharePoint.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

@NicolasKheirallah Because not everything in the world is a company.
These are all external people and/or companies. There's nothing to search on, "I" am the only member of this subscription. This is what I use to "TRY" and keep my personal effects and documents managed.  

Thanks. LOL, don't forget, we're talking about M365 here.
Yes, I eventually had to create a contacts list based on the contacts list in another site. Fine and dandy BUT, now try an populate the new list with those items from the original. I set up a flow to copy items, it worked on one list but obviously not on the contacts list. Why would it? Why would msft set something up to work flawlessly???? I suspect it had an issue with some metadata fields but, hey, as a user, IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM POWER AUTOMATE CAN'T DEAL WITH METADATA FIELDS!!!!! If they actually stopped to complete their tech instead of jumping ahead making dumb connections for services hardly anyone uses, then we might get somewhere.
Man, I've got modern lists that open up to SharePoint 2013 style edit forms?????????!!!!!!!!!!
It's SharePoint ONLINE. It's their tech, nothing I can do to update that nonsense.
Each and every time I attempt to do anything, not matter how simple there HAS to be a fly in the ointment. "Oh this only works if it's a Tuesday with a full moon."
I've dared msft to take me on in these discussions, but all you ever get is rhetorical responses and msft lovers try to defend the stupidity as though you've hurt their feelings.
You're handling it wrong, of course you can copy fields with metadata fields. That's no issue if it's the same field pointing to the same term. Power Automate can handle metadata fields without issues.

Also There's not a template for everything because SharePoint is so widely used an a contact list is 99% used within Outlook which has that functionality.

Nope not handling it wrong. There's ONE required field and I've already indicated that's been addressed.
The flow is having an issue with something else but no intelligible information is provided, simply a long 32 digit correlation id it's looking for.
There are no other issues. It's an old contacts list based on classic SharePoint so there must be some incompatibility with it that power automate is having an issue with. Why wouldn't there be an incompatibility? Why would MSFT tech be able to interact with MSFT tech? That would be too easy.
Like the old saying goes, bloatware. So bloated there's lots of holes.
It ain't me.

@Carl_Williams "I've got modern lists that open up to SharePoint 2013 style edit forms" - if you have a lot of columns in your list then it will open in that old style. I've got one list with 119 columns where it does that. But you can customise the form with Power Apps (go to Form settings in the List settings screen) which will allow you make the form look a lot better.

Try not to sound quite so angry in your posts and you'll find people here are very willing to help.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

We're here to help you, it's better for you to ask for help and tell us what problems you're facing especially with the flow instead of ranting.
Ranting just makes people in the community less likely to help out, we've all been there and we've all been frustrated at time.

So tell us what problems are you facing with power automate and your sharepoint list?
Of course you're right, but this is due to these continual ridiculous programming issues that are never resolved and only stagnate for decades (case and point). As the years go by things just become more and more hard to digest.
A) I don't want to see any 2013 style aspx pages, period!
B) There's nothing a user can and should do here with that, that's microsoft's role to update these things THUS SharePoint "ONLINE".
C) I have no where near 119 columns, nor would I ever create such a list. Again, even if I did:
It's SharePoint Online, it's microsoft's role to keep these things updated and not have us use excuses that, "oh you have lots of columns therefore it default's to the old view". Wait, WHAT??
Trust me I have tried, many many many times. I've proved info but receive backlash that my responses are too mean. It's because, I seem to be one of few that are willing to get up and say the emperor has no clothes on.
Perhaps people should spend reading the comments and understanding and comprehending the process rather than trying to be a parent.
I ask and often receive circular responses from Microsoft. My question(s) is/are often just reiterated then I'm expected to accept it as an answer just so they can check off the task.
Believe me, I know what I'm talking about and what I usually am asking help for is bang on. I've done IMIT for federal governments and know many even in private industry that have jumped ship because of these continual oversites.
One year one thing works. The next it doesn't. There's often a hodgepodge of integration between the technologies and only work, seemingly if it's a Tuesday with a full moon.
Here, in this case, I create a simple little flow to copy list items. You cant get any more simple. All required fields (ONE - [LastName]) is/are taken care of, check. Run it, it fails and some obscure error code is provided. Only god knows what that means. And once again we're required to perform a day's research into why this simple little flow is not working. So excuse me for being frustrated with their technology, as are mannnnnny.
Tx