Changing the blue top bar in Sharepoint Online?

Brass Contributor

I am starting the process for moving my company's on prem intranet page to SPO, and have already hit one snag.  For the life of me i can't figure out how to change the top blue bar for SPO.  

I've gone in to the "Change the Look" settings and picked a variety of different options, but none of those will change the top bar.  They will change all kinds of colors on the rest of the page, but not the top bar.

I've been searching online for the answer, but coming up with the right key words to search on for this has been the challenge.

Thanks in advance.

Ted

Ted1234_0-1617723039238.png

4 Replies

@Ted1234 that's controlled by your Office 365 profile. Select your image in the top right and click on My Office profile. That will open Delve. Click the gear up in the top right which will open the Settings panel. In the Themes section click View all and select one of the colors or images to put into the top bar. Go back to SharePoint and refresh the page. After a few seconds the top bar image or color selected will display.

Of course that only applies to you, anyone else will still see their default color or image.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

Rob,

Thanks for that info, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

I don't suppose there is any way to override that? If we go through a bunch of work to customize the corporate intranet's look and feel to have a nice color scheme, but every employee who goes to that page sees an ugly bar across the top, it's going to generate a LOT of calls to the help desk about "how do I change that".

Unfortunately in my glance through the profile options I didn't see any option that looked like it would go good with our current intranet page. I don't suppose there's any way to upload a new corporate theme that we could at least tell the employees to manually select if they wanted the colors to look decent?

Thanks again for your help.
Ted

@Ted1234 

I really want to like SharePoint and implement it for clients, but it's basic stuff like this that just make no sense. And stuff like this is all through SharePoint, it makes you scratch your head and just ask why?!!

EDIT: 

Rob is actually incorrect here, you can change the company theme and set it, so users can't overwrite it, this will change the header for you to which ever color you select:

https://www.sharepointdiary.com/2019/09/sharepoint-online-customize-suite-bar-color.html

@Ted1234 You can change the color of top navigation in Office/Microsoft 365 (suite bar) from Microsoft 365 admin center.

1. Go to admin center
  2. Select on Settings from the left navigation & then select Org settings
  3. From Org setting, click Organization profile tab & select Custom themes
  4. Here you can edit the Default theme to make changes for all users in your tenant (for your scenario) Or add a custom theme which you can apply to maximum 5 M365 groups.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.