Can i link a sub-site insdie a classic team site to a MS Teams

Steel Contributor

we have a classic team SharePoint online site collection which is NOT linked to Office 365 group. and inside this classic team SharePoint online site collection, we have a team sub-site and this sub-site contain documents. so can we create  a new MS Teams and link it to the sub-site, so we can add documents to the sub-site through MS Teams application? or we can not so so?

5 Replies
You can add access to the subsite in an existing Teams by means of Tabs. You cannot add a Team to a subsite, Teams can only be added to Sites (Site collections) tied to Office 365 Groups
Hi,
AFAIK, we cannot natively Groupify and Teamify from a subsite. These are possible only at Team site collection level.
What you could do is O365 Group Connect your classic Team Site Collection and then Teamify the Group and create channel in your Teamified MS Teams and add a tab and link your subsite document library in the tab. In this way, you could enable users to add documents from MS Teams within the tab.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.

@Swaminathan Sriramok but i can add the sub-site as a tab inside the MS Teams without having to connect the site collection to the MS Teams is this correct?

@Juan Carlos González Martínyes of course i can do so, but in this case managing these 2 components (Sub-site & MS Teams) will be done separately. for example if we add a member inside the MS Teams this will not get reflected inside the sub-site , even if we add the sub-site as a tab inside the MS Teams.

Hi,
Yes, you're correct. You can leverage the Document Library connector available in the add tab screen and utilize 'Use a SharePoint link' option and provide the URL of your subsite and select the Document Library and add it in your existing owned MS Teams Team or in newly created Team or in any of your Team.
Also, whatever permissions setup existing in your SharePoint subsite and Document Library would only be applicable in the added MS Teams tab. You can add any user to your MS Teams Team and only if this user has the access permissions added in your SharePoint Subsite and Document Library, would be able to access and add documents, otherwise the user would be displayed with the relevant access denied error message.
Thanks.
@John John