Audience targeting based on School Data Sync (SDS) data

Copper Contributor

Hello all!

I am struggling badly with this scenario. I am the Admin for a few smaller private schools and with the recent upsurge in distance learning they're going all in on the tools available in M365. I have created a Student "Landing Site" with information about the classes (teams) they're enrolled in etc, but I am trying to target news posts and articles based on their grade level. Sounds easy, right?

We're using Microsoft School Data Sync (SDS) to capture student info and create teams for classes, blah. It only created 3 security groups however, All Students, All Teachers, and All <School Name>. I can go in and view the student info using the SDS dashboard, but I cannot "get at it" programmatically any way I have found/tried. 

I created my own security groups (1/grade level) and added students manually and can solve the issue this way, but it seems like going around my elbow to get to my hand. In the SDS Dashboard I can see that Lancelot P. McMichaelson is in 8th grade and Guinevere Sanchez (not their real names) is in 7th grade but cannot connect to that data.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might otherwise target 7th graders vs 8th graders without manually creating and updating groups? Can't find it in AAD, and the PowerPlatform SDS connector is just for maintaining the SDS sync process itself, not access to the data.

Thank you in advance!!

-SCM

0 Replies