Any way to create an Office 365 Group with Communication Site Template?

Bronze Contributor

Hi, is there any way to create an Office 365 group with the SharePoint Communication Site template?

I'm thinking about a limited collaboration space, that is primarily used (=CREATE) by internal staff, but intended for consumption (=READ) by a customer as a guest user.

12 Replies
No, it's not...the only thing you can do is customize your modern SPO site (linked to Group) to have the customizations you need and for this you have two options:
(1) Site Scripts & Site Designs
(2) PnP Remote Provisioning for a scenario where you want to automate all Group provisioning and also apply customizations to the Group site

I have been meaning to test 'groupifying' a communication site.  I will give it a try today.

Greg

Groupifuing is only available for classic SPO sites

Yes

Pff...so they have hidden the Connect to a new Office 365 group option in the settings menu in a Communication Site, but they have not disabled in PowerShell...I wonder if this scenario is supposed to be supported

My first attempt failed

I am not sure why 

They are adding the ability to move the navigation with three options in the future to alleviate this via existing sites. Etc. you’ll have the option for left, top like comm sites or none.

But interacting to see you were able to join a group.

@Juan Carlos González Martín wrote:
No, it's not...the only thing you can do is customize your modern SPO site (linked to Group) to have the customizations you need and for this you have two options:
(1) Site Scripts & Site Designs
(2) PnP Remote Provisioning for a scenario where you want to automate all Group provisioning and also apply customizations to the Group site

Hi Juan, you mean customize within the currently allowed limits, but NOT the switch the template, right?

@Deleted do you have a rough timeline on this? 2018, 2019 or later?

I wanna say by end q3 but by end year for sure. My guess would be around ignite.

Oh well

Hi, to clarify. I want a group, and the sharepoint site should "look" (as in top navigation) like a communication site.
So both solutions are valid in my opinion, though yours might be in an "unsupported" scenario.