Adding a download as pdf button to a Sharepoint web part form.

Copper Contributor

Hello, I am new to the Sharepoint world and I am learning on the job. Due to some reason i need to take over a project involving Sharepoint and I do not have any experience with share point. 

We have a Sharepoint form (Form is added to the page as a web part), we need to add a button/functionality to the form to be able to download the contents of the form as a pdf before it is submitted. So ,either when the user clicks on submit the form data should be downloaded as a pdf or add a new button to the form that would download the form as a pdf. I have looked over at quite a few places but I haven't really found a solution for what I need. 

Does anyone know how to download contents of a form as a pdf? 

Can some one point me to some good tutorials that I can follow to understand Sharepoint better and in turn understand what I need to do to add this functionality?

Thank you, appreciate your help!!

5 Replies

@APJ10 I assume this is SharePoint Online. Are you creating the form in Microsoft Forms and then adding it to the page with the Microsoft Forms web part, or are you creating it in some other way?

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Thank you for responding Rob, I am still learning about sharepoint so pardon me if I am wrong here.
So this is a custom form that was created for our company a few years back and this is what we use as a template and then add and remove fields to it.
Here is how we add the form to a page -
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​1. Select the page where you want to add the form in the Left Navigation Menu.
2. Select Page > Edit in the SharePoint ribbon at the top of the page
3. The page is redisplayed in edit mode. Scroll down the page and click on Add a Web Part in the left column.
4. Scroll to the top of the page. The About the part ribbon is displayed. Select the Custom category, then select the "Form Builder" web part, then select Add.

Now this form has multiple fields, some hidden and some visible. I want to be able to download the visible fields as a pdf.

@APJ10 Hey mate, 

You have two options - 

1. Convert the SharePoint Page(URL) to PDF - https://blog.muhimbi.com/2017/10/converting-sharepoint-online-pages.html 

2. Recreate the Form in HTML and pass the HTML to a PDF Converter - https://clavinfernandes.wordpress.com/2018/11/07/convert-a-list-item-to-pdf-using-a-button-for-a-sha... 

Hello, for some reason Microsoft is not posting my reply, I am going to try again. Thank you for your response Rob. I am new to Sharepoint o my understanding might be wrong. I am not sure if this is Sharepoint online because currently we are half onPrem and migrating to online. Here is how the form is created.

1. Select the page where you want to add the form in the Left Navigation Menu.
2. Select Page > Edit in the SharePoint ribbon at the top of the page.
3. The page is redisplayed in edit mode. Scroll down the page and click on Add a Web Part in the left column.
4. Scroll to the top of the page. The About the part ribbon is displayed. Select the Custom category, then select the Intermountain Form Builder web part, then select Add.
I haven't seen Microsoft forms yet, this was created quite a few years back, the steps above are the notes that I have on how to create a new form.
Thank you, appreciate your help.
Hi Clavin, thank you, I am going to go through these links and try them out. Appreciate you taking out time and responding, thank you!