Identity Monitoring for email addresses - "Verification Code" incorrect for app and web portal

Copper Contributor

I was redirected here from the consumer "Answers" community by;

"This question is out of reach of the response support community. The best place to get help with your question is Security, Compliance, and Identity. There are experts who can provide more professional solutions in that place.

Mitchell - | Microsoft community support expert from MSFT"

My only search here resulted in the blog posting related to Microsoft Defender adding Identity Theft Monitoring services for individuals.  

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/security-compliance-and-identity/introducing-identity-theft-m...

Hopefully this is the correct forum with an expert knowledgeable of the service end for this product feature.  I will paste the content of my other post from the Answers community below.

I was able to successfully add six email addresses out of the limit of eleven before I began experiencing incorrect verification code issues. "The number is incorrect. Please try again." or "Something went wrong, please try again."

The first occurs when trying to add an individual email address while the latter occurs in a dialogue where multiple identity variables may be input at the same time which proceeds to confirm that verification code for an email address is accepted as correct but produces the error when "Start monitoring" is clicked.

I am unable to provide screenshots as it would require quite a bit of manual censoring to eliminate exposure of private information.

I have already gone through two troubleshooting sessions with remote support low level technicians, who were observing multiple instances of the problem both in the Windows app and on the web portal of mydefender.microsoft.com producing the incorrect verification code result for different email addresses.

Every verification code received at any email address has continued to be rejected as incorrect since January 5, 2023. This occurs in the app for Windows and iPhone, as well as the web portal. Attempts were made in-private and in different browsers as mentioned on multiple devices.

This issue is highly unlikely related to any variables on my end and needs to be escalated toward the attention of technicians on the service end for further investigation.

Any insight into this as well as making the proper related parties aware of the issue would be welcomed.  Thank you.

Edit 1/24/2023:  In response to poor label selection; adjusted from "Identity Protection" to "Microsoft 365" (all other labels seem specific to organization related solutions instead of the Home version of Microsoft Defender).

4 Replies
Hi, I'm struggling to interpret the issue you are facing here from your description. I can derive from the post label that you are using Azure AD Identity Protection but I can't work out much more than that. Which feature within AADIP are you trying to configure please?
In context to what I posted and why it is here, the circumstances have already been established.
This specifically applies to Microsoft Defender features as part of a Microsoft 365 subscription further elaborated within this article appearing in this forum - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/security-compliance-and-identity/introducing-identity-theft-m... .

It is unfortunate that to post anything I had to select a "Label", of which I chose "Identity Protection" where that is all I was able to see of it and had no idea that it was in context with "Azure AD". That was never my intention and as a typical nonsensical result my entire post was misinterpreted under the wrong assumption that it was related as such.

I would assume considering that a Microsoft employee posted blog article in this forum related directly to the product and service in question it would affirm the redirect here was correct.

Regardless, since it is highly unlikely that I would actually receive a direct solution specifically for my problem, the least I would want is some actual acknowledgement that the correct party is aware of this issue. So far, low tier support says its beyond them and the consumer support Answers forum also stated it was out of reach for their scope.
If you or anyone else has awareness of the correct party to be in contact with, it would be appreciated.
Ah this relates to Microsoft Defender for Individuals - right. Sadly I am not familiar with this product and don't have access to it, so could not offer any advice I'm afraid. This forum in general tends to relate more to business and enterprise products.
Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm running into the same problem, sort of. When I downloaded the microsoft defender app onto my phone and I tried to add it onto my list of devices protected, my pc sent the 6 digit verification code and as soon as I put it into my phone it says, "code doesn't match" or something to that effect.