SOLVED

Tasks with different calendar times

Copper Contributor

Hello Team.
I'm stuck in a following situation.
I have a 4 hour schedule (09:00 – 13:00) with a 20 minute break.
Along the schedule I have special activities that must start at 10:00 to finish at 13:00. This is where the headache starts. I can't help it, I've already tried adding lag, creating a new calendar to add to these special tasks and adding slack. Unfortunately, every attempt led me to an activity that always ended the next day, outside the intended range. As I intend, a one-day activity that starts from 10:00 to 13:00, although my project calendar is set to 09:00 – 13:00 as in the schedule options

Cronograma.png

5 Replies

@FilipeCuango 

Again, you don't have a 4 hour schedule, you have a 3.6666666 hour schedule. I see that you have redefined a day as 3.67 but you don't tell us exactly how you are attempting to create the special tasks that go from 10:00 to 13:00.

If you are attempting to enter a duration in days (e.g. 2.67 days), rounding is going to mess you up. I suggest you enter the duration for the task in hours (i.e. 2.66 hours seems to work for me). However, since your schedule has an odd time (20 minutes) that doesn't evenly convert into days or hours, your best bet is to set durations in minutes.

Bear in mind that Project performs all scheduling in minutes, regardless of how it is entered in the Duration field.

John

@John-project 

Thanks for the correction John. So I have tasks scheduled in the period from 09:00 to 13:00. But I also have activities on the project that should start from 10:00 to 13:00. To solve this case I added a new calendar to the tasks with the period from 10:00 - 13:00. Unfortunately it does not work happens that the task comes to finish partially the next day and affects other project activities. As you can see in "Activity 2"

Atividade 2.png

best response confirmed by FilipeCuango (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@FilipeCuango 

That's because you've given Activity 2 a duration of 1 day which is 3.67 hours and if Activity 2 starts one hour later than the normal start time of 9:00 AM, that 1 day duration will push Activity 2 into the second day.

I would not create a separate calendar for the special tasks that start one hour later. If those special activities are indeed dependent on other tasks (i.e. Finish-to-start relationship) put a lag in the Predecessor (i.e. Activity 1 + 1h).

As I noted, for the type of scheduling you are doing I would avoid entering task duration in days or even hours since rounding will cause problems with the display. I'd enter all durations in minutes. That will give the cleanest and most accurate presentation.

2022-04-01_08-42-16.png

John

Thank you Jonh for once again relieving me of a suffocation...
Filipe,
You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.
John
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by FilipeCuango (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@FilipeCuango 

That's because you've given Activity 2 a duration of 1 day which is 3.67 hours and if Activity 2 starts one hour later than the normal start time of 9:00 AM, that 1 day duration will push Activity 2 into the second day.

I would not create a separate calendar for the special tasks that start one hour later. If those special activities are indeed dependent on other tasks (i.e. Finish-to-start relationship) put a lag in the Predecessor (i.e. Activity 1 + 1h).

As I noted, for the type of scheduling you are doing I would avoid entering task duration in days or even hours since rounding will cause problems with the display. I'd enter all durations in minutes. That will give the cleanest and most accurate presentation.

2022-04-01_08-42-16.png

John

View solution in original post