SOLVED

Start successor when predecessor is not complete

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have created a project, and I would like to link two tasks, namely Task1 and Task2, via the finish-to-start relationship. 

Task1 lasts 10 months; Task2 lasts 5 months and starts when Task1 is at month n. 6. 

Is it possible to create a finish-to-start relationship between Task1 and Task 2, even though Task1 is not complete, or do I have to split Task1 in two subtasks, namely Task1.a (from month n.1 up to month n. 6) and Task1.b (from month n.7 up to month n. 10)?

If I have to split Task1 in two Tasks, I have some doubts about resource management. Currently, I know that N resources are assigned to Task1, but, if I split Task1 in two parts, I should also assign properly the resources. Specifically, in this case, the N resources work at 60% to Task1.a and 40% to Task1.b. Is this the right way?

Thank you in advance for any helpful answer

4 Replies

@GiuseppePalaia 

yes you can do that in MS project or in P4W 

In  MS Project you can use negative lead time if you check the example below 

malshayeb_0-1711630201084.png

In P4W in Task 2 details set the delay type as lead by and span 6 months 

malshayeb_1-1711630367100.png

Dear @malshayeb,
thank you for your answer. If I apply the method you proposed, what happens in the management of the activity? If Task1 lasts one month more than expected since a problem in the activity occurs at month n.7, also Task2 is shifted one month ahead. If this is the case, this solution, unfortunately, does not help me. In my case, Task 2 should be shifted only if the activities between months n.1 and  n.6 of Task1 last more than expected. There is a way to do this without splitting Task1 in two parts?

I look forward to your answer.

best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

@GiuseppePalaia 

In this scenario i wouldn't use the split task feature but i would breakdown the work. I would breakdown Task 1 to (Task1 six months , Task2 four months) and create a relationship between them , then i add task 3 which is the five months one and link it to task one. in this scenario Task 3 will only be impacted if there was delay in the first 6 months and its unrelated to the second stretch of the work 

malshayeb_1-1711631479535.png

@malshayeb

Thank you again for your prompt answer. I am going to use the last approach.

Best regards,
Giuseppe Palaia
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Dale Howard (MVP)
Solution

@GiuseppePalaia 

In this scenario i wouldn't use the split task feature but i would breakdown the work. I would breakdown Task 1 to (Task1 six months , Task2 four months) and create a relationship between them , then i add task 3 which is the five months one and link it to task one. in this scenario Task 3 will only be impacted if there was delay in the first 6 months and its unrelated to the second stretch of the work 

malshayeb_1-1711631479535.png

View solution in original post