SOLVED

How to manage recurring tasks in Planner?

Deleted
Not applicable

I would like to use Planner to monitor the implementation of an IT team's production plan. Indeed, a production plan is a set of planned tasks - not necessarily assigned to someone but rather to a team. These tasks are often recurring: daily (for example, checking backups) or monthly (deploying security patches).

I could not understand how I could introduce the notion of recurring task directly or indirectly into Planner. I eventually considered that the calendar of the team concerned could contain recurring events that could be transformed into tasks via FLOW.

But I didn't manage to get to the end of that idea.

Thank you for your help if you have already done so or have other ideas.

61 Replies

@Samcogger 

Now it is July. Their roadmap still says this will be rolled out in June.

It is really disappointing that no one on the Microsoft team reviewed their “Tech Community” posts. 

Just a simple update of when this will actually be available would be really nice…

I notice the blog is dead and planner has disappeared from my apps list ... so many of the MS "also ran" products just disappear - look at sway (which is brilliant but was never quite finished). The idea seems to be let them fester then argue they weren't used,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=82028

Now says August 2022.  This is greatly needed to manage recurring tasks within our multiple teams.

@rameshsingh 

@MACRamsey  Now it says September 2022

The recurring task that they set up to automatically extend the due date every month must be working again.

@bmercer, I wish this did not feel so much like a joke stringing us along. I have been waiting for this like many other people for years. It has been on the development schedule for ages. They keep moving the date as well as the forum to ask for missing features. Will I wait for another month or will I just invest the time to fix my planning yet again using Power Automate. It is so clunky.

We are in the process of moving to Monday.com. Not waiting around for this anymore. 

I don't plan to use MS Planner anymore, it has become a recurring joke.
I'm gonna feel kinda bad if they do actually release this in September - people been waiting on here for years for this to eventuate and I come along and go, oh, will be released any day now, sweet. #isthisthemonth

@DanielM33 It's live for me today!

How do you access the new feature?

@rdgoliveira 

I´m able to see that option when using MS Planner inside our 'TEAMS Team':

RenatoPereira_0-1662723965873.png

* In PT-BR, 'REPETIR' means 'repeat'

We got a New Repeat Option in the planner through which we think we can schedule recurring tasks, but currently, it gives an error. 

Did anyone else get this update & error?

Planner.PNG

@Rajdeep_Rana For me, it errored for the first few days of go live (a "technical error" message displayed on the bottom of the page).  I've just tested again (14 Sep) and it appears to be working for me.

Is this for enterprise subcription only? I still do not see any updates.
For anyone who now has this feature:
What version of Teams do you have?
Our domain is managed by our enterprise IT, so I don't believe we have received the update yet that includes the Repeat function. :'(
Microsoft Teams Version 1.5.00.21668 (64-bit)

This has nothing to do with teams. Planner is its own independent product. Just connected to the M365 Group.
GA is supposed to happen in September, and being rolled out in waves, so be patient :)
See also roadmap item 82028 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?featureid=82028

@LeahSattler  I am on enterprise version as well and still don't see it yet.

We don't have it yet either - hoping this hurries up as soch a positive change.

Hi, 

I am having similar thought as thread creator. 

So each month a team of 20 should tick off their to-do´s in a common task list. Later same period a super visor should be able to control that all members has ticked off all the requirements (and print it). The list does not have to be personal, cause it could be done from whoever, and there is no need for a stamp who did what. 

Next month the task would be exactly the same tasks required to be ticked off, and controlled. A bonus would be if it could be set that by the end of the last day in the month the list is restarted and the previous month to-do list is kept saved so it is easy to go back to control previous months.

I just want to set the to-do list once, and not every month (>100 task each month). 

Is this possible to set up in any way?