Outlook for Android Login Error

Bronze Contributor

I have a user with an Android device trying to get Outlook for Android to work.

She has the latest version, we've uninstalled/rebooted/reinstalled, cleared all devices from her mailbox in O365, cleared cache, tried cell connection/Wifi, and we don't have any restrictive MDM or MAM rules.

When she tries to login it says "Login Error, The connection to your mail server timed out. Please check your mail settings." Unfortunately with the app you can't check the settings to verify and when she tries the Support Link it just spins and she can't get assistance.

Ideas?

45 Replies

@Cary Siemers 

Hi

Have you tried the PowerShell command below?

# Get-CASMailbox -Identity "User.Name@YourDomain.com" | Select-Object *

find the line
OutlookMobileEnabled

If you have a 'False' value change it. use the command:
Set-CASMailbox -Identity "User.Name@YourDomain.com" -OutlookMobileEnabled $true

After change wait at least 15 minutes to test, sometimes you can wait up to a 1h

This setting is not visible at the GUI

That helps me, hope will sort your issue. 
Regards

@Robert_Bn 

Guess you didn't read my post from 10/31 that newer versions of the app fixed the issue.

Unfortunately in these forums you can't mark something as "solved/answered."

@Cary Siemers 

I am happy you have sorted your issue. Mine was completely different.

I clicked the question mark icon in the top right and changed the provider to pop 3 and it worked.
I think you just have to ensure you are using the right provider.
So even I was facing same issue...I resolved this issue just by uninstalling Microsoft authenticator from my device...The issue got fixed

@Cary Siemers I have not been successful with using Outlook on an Android for the past few years. Microsoft only seams to support the most standard email systems. I have never had issues using the Samsung email client and don't even bother with Outlook on an Android as it has nothing but bugs and issues unless you are connecting to a Microsoft Exchange account. I have moved all my customers over to the Samsung app as I never get calls about email not working as I was getting with Outlook. Use the Apple email app on an iPhone. Don't even think about using Outlook.

@Cary Siemers 

Win_Htet_Aung_0-1622596047350.png

Anyone who till have issue concerning outlook in android, please try to login as shown in picture by @Mike_86 .

I just tried it as the way he said and now I am able to login. 

Just use yourfirstname@domain.com instead of yourfirstname.yourlastname@domain.com .

@Win_Htet_Aung 

2021 here and I encountered this error I tried login in as firstname@domain.com but not working Im really close on just giving up 

I am having this same issue with our O365 tenant which was discovered last Friday. The issue seems to only happen with Outlook clients, as I was able to add a mailbox to Samsung Email app.

Its really frustrating as EXO support don't know what to do, and Outlook in-app support is slower than sloths.

Appreciate if anyone found anything.

I'm having a similar (or the same?) problem on my Samsung tablet. I've tried everything I know to set up my Outlook account under Settings/Accounts, without success. Either I'm asked for domain and server info that I don't have, or I try to sign in as an Outlook account and get a "server timeout" error.

I deleted all MS apps, reinstalled Outlook, and signed in there. But the account doesn't appear in the Settings/Accounts listing, so my contacts and calendar appear in the Outlook app but not in the tablet's own People or Calendar app.

I can limp along using the Outlook app, but sometimes I'd prefer to use the native Samsung ones. Would appreciate any suggestions.

We have found the issue for our problem. Apparently we are missing a SPN record at our Office365 tenant for “autodiscover.domain.com”. Once we added one of our autodiscover domain names, the Outlook autodiscover works, even for other custom domains for our tenant.
Thank you, this helped me as well!
Disconnect your internet or wifi if using a work wifi and use an open wifi from a network service provider either than a work wifi
Login to your outlook web mail, using chrome on your phone. Once you successfully login through the web browser on your mobile it will show an option on the bottom of your browser screen, "Add outlook to your home screen", click on it and it will download/install outlook on your phone, and it wont ask for credentials.

Let me know if it works for you.
I've tried the various suggestions that apply to me as an individual, personal user and they didn't work, but I found a solution that solved half of my problem. Using the Samsung Smart Switch app to transfer data from my phone to my tablet made my contacts sync to the tablet's phone/contacts app. Still didn't bring over my calendar except in the Outlook app.

Obviously, that will work only for Samsung users, but it's at least one possibility.
I've recently started to face this issue. Maybe the latest version (Oct'21), is again having this issue. :(

Please let me know if anyone is able to solve this issue, otherwise I have to just keep waiting for the next Outlook update. Unfortunately, my official emails and calendar cant be configured in any other app, so I could not access them at all till then. :(
Login to your outlook web mail, using chrome on your phone. Once you successfully login through the web browser on your mobile it will show an option on the bottom of your browser screen, "Add outlook to your home screen", click on it and it will download/install outlook on your phone, and it wont ask for credentials.

Let me know if it works for you.

@Hitender365 That installs a lite/ web version of the outlook, not a complete app. Thanks.

@RP_IND Thanks for your reply.  I didn't realize that, as I could do all the tasks I need to perform using Outlook.  Can you please let me know what is the major difference between the lite version and regular version.

Since it's a web version, there is no offline access, you cannot add another account, etc....