SOLVED

Outlook 365 suddenly won't open

Copper Contributor

Hello; Outlook worked this morning, now it won't open, says to open in Safe Mode, but that doesn't work, tries to open for 5 seconds than nothing. Restarted PC and no help. Please advise! Steven F 603

167 Replies

@MarkPrint Last time I had the issue, many months ago now, I called Microsoft and the gent stepped me through a 'reinstall' that solved the issue without the loss of any data, addresses, emails, etc. I initiated contact through a chat, but before we hung up he gave me a number to use going forward. At the risk of annoying people, it was 1-800-642-7676. Good luck!

Outlook 365 won't open, since last updates. Windows updates sucks.
I waste time, it forces me to search for solutions on Google and Microsoft support for several hours and there is no one. Please correct the latest updates, Microsoft is making my life miserable.

@QUIRZU1944 Same issue a couple days ago. Finally opened task manager to make sure that Outlook was not running. It still appeared under services. Ended it and it restarted just fine. Good luck. 

Your recomendatios doesn’t work. Outlook file is not in services task manager

My Outlook365 often won't open when selected.  I go to control panel/programs/microsoft365/change/repair and it works again for a while.  But I just noticed that when I chose reboot it said Outlook was still open.  CtrlAltDel Taskbar said nothing was open.   Today did the repair bit to get Outlook working again and tried shutting it down not using the X in the right upper corner.  I clicked on File (upper left corner) and clicked on exit at the bottom.  So far that seems to be working as I have re-opened Outlook several times, closing out with File/exit and it opens the next time it is selected. 

@dumwidgmailcom I still have the issue occasionally, but not nearly as often as before. Interestingly, the problem continued through several versions of Office and Windows and on different computers. I found that rebooting normally resolves the issue, but I also learned that even though Outlook doesn't appear to be running there can still be processes or services running in the there can still be processes/services running in the background. I check Processes, Details and Services and end any task that appears to be tied to Outlook.  Good Luck.

Suddenly Outlook won't open. I can access my e-mail through the web but not my calendar. This is a nightmare. I've uninstalled and re-installed to no avail. This is clearly a problem on Microsoft's end. Any luck getting it fixed?

@Jonesce  I ended losing all my contacts, calendar events and existing emails.  Then I had to purchase Microsoft service, $60.  Lastly, when I downloaded the required version, significant features were no longer available.  Example, a reminder to review a certain email.  Example, no color choices or options to label calendar events.  All I got in response was a bunch of "sorry".   Sucks.  Period!