Recipient display name removed and not showing in sent folder

Brass Contributor

Hi, this unwanted behaviour started about a week or more ago in Outlook. When I construct a new email and enter an addressee, it displays their name, as it used to, but after I send the email, in the sent folder the email only shows their email address, i.e. not the display name.

Also, in the items list in the sent folder, the recipient field is blank, i.e. not even their email address is displayed, as below. This is not only unhelpful when viewing the list, but also means that sorting by To no longer works!

image.png

Anyone else experiencing this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it?

I have Version 2102 (Build 13801.20182 Click-to-Run) Current Channel (Preview)

6 Replies
Did you try resetting your view settings?
Thanks Vasil. Not quite sure I understand what you're asking, but I didn't change any view settings. To be sure I just reset to default, and realised I only had "tighter spacing" and "Show as conversations" set. I put these back and the same problematic viewing behaviour is present.

One further thing I should have mentioned in my original post, is that when I do a reply to a received email, the display name is retained when looking at the email after it is sent, and the recipient's display name correctly appears in the email list.
Sorry, what I meant was to run Outlook with the /cleanviews switch, here's a sample article: https://www.slipstick.com/outlook/how-to-use-outlooks-command-line-switches/
You can also try toggling the "Show as Conversations" checkbox and/or play with the conversation settings, hopefully "tickling" them will sort this out.
Thanks Vasil. I tried that, but no luck unfortunately. I also have a Surface Pro with the same Outlook config, and the same problem happens on it.

I just also tried sending an email from Outlook online, and the problem does not happen there.

This is becoming very frustrating. Any thoughts please from anyone as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

@Jeff Parker 

Did you ever figure out the solution to the issue you were experiencing?

I am having the same issue.

I can't recall the details now, but I think the problem just went away on its own after a short while. Perhaps an update to Outlook happened, but I'm not sure.