Poll: Need Help Estimating Office 365 Deployment Effort (labor hours)

Microsoft

Hello,

I have an enterprise client with about 12,000 user who is planning an Office 365 Deployment and is asking for help with estimating the number of labor hours that would be needed internally deploy Office 365 (actuall scope of products below).

We not not looking for exact numbers, but just a very rough estiamte of the number of man hours required. I am hoping for several responses based on specific experience at large customers who have already deployed.

The following products/capabilities are in scope for this engagement:

• Office 365 ProPlus Deployment - both physical and viartual
  • Office for Home Use Enablement
  • iPad Device Management and Security using Intune Conditional Acces
  • OneDrive for Busniess
  • Identity and Core enablement: AD FS / AAD Connect
  • Office 365 Video
  • SharePoint Online

Any help and datapoints would be apprecaited.

-Paz

9 Replies
For SharePoint Online and ODFB rollout you have to provide more information such as:
- There is the need to migrate OnPrem Data to ODFB and SPO.
- Do you need to define an information architecture for your SPO Sites
- Security when accessing to SPO sites: I recommend to define Office 365 Groups and add these Groups to SPO so Groups member can access to the sites.

Thank you Juan. for this purpose please assume the following:

1. MIgrating from on-prem file shares to ODFB online

2. SharePoint online deployment is very basic for this initial phase: Only enabling SharePoint online for basic use and not migrating all existing data to it.

3. Customer's main concern is requiremnt for conditional access and control of informaiton (i.e. restrict access to internal data/files to only approved devices from approved locations).

Our engagements usually allow for few days of gathering requirements/examining the current environment, after which we can give (somewhat) accurate estimate. There's simply way too many factors you need to take into consideration, for example the client deployment will rely on the number of sites, method used, bandwidth even. Migrating files/email can also take a while and is usually performed outside of working hours, so it can be spread into few weeks even, depending on the amount of data, available bandwidth, etc.

Anyway, for conditional access take a look at the recently announced improvements: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/enterprisemobility/2016/07/28/azuread-conditional-access-per-app...

Agree with Vasil, ideally you should do a consultancy job before thinking on any kind of estimation. You need as much information as possible to make an accurate estimation
I agree with the other respondents about needing more info and doing some requirements gathering.

For ProPlus, a big decision point will be deployment method. Are you going to allow click to run by the users or do it using existing software deployment tools, such as SCCM. Allowing click-to-run will take much less effort by IT staff.

In regards to O365 video, that is almost trivial. All you need to do is create some channels and get some people with videos to start uploading them. You may need to spend a few hours creating some communications materials to get the word out about how the channels are to be used. This workload can be a quick win as it really shows off the benefits of cloud based services since everyone can easily use it from any device.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Just to clarify, what I am asking for is just a general idea based on actual customer experiences:

So, can any customers who have deployed Office 365 just report back with a rough idea of the level of effort and labor that was invovled on the customer side (not the conslulting side). We don't need it to be too specific - just a very general idea.

Thank you Juan and Vasil. The customer already has a cunsulting partner engaged. This question is not about the effort required by a conulting partner, but about the average actual real-life experices of enterprise customers who have deployed Office 365.

For the SharePoint migration, you need time to do a premigration analyses of each site collection , this can take 15 minutes or many hours if it a big deep complex collection. Communication with site owners and some education about what's new and what they will need to do to review and accept the migrated site can take 1-2 hours, the amount of time it will take the owner to do the actual review will vary, plan on 1-4 hours. Plan on some ongoing support sessions to show case the new services.
I like to go slow so that the tech support team can provide good service and not get overwhelmed, providing some FAQs is always a good idea.

Office365 has quite a number of SKUs which contain quite a bit of products. 

Since you mentioned Sharepoint, Pro Plus, It would be at least E3 or E5.

You didnt mention Exchange Online, Skype, Yammer... Will that be done by someone else?

E3/E5 also includes Azure RMS and DLP which also can be applied to Sharepoint. You mentioned control of information from approved devices. So does it include control of whether the approved device can forward the info to a un-approved device?

Off the top of my head I would look at least at the following -

1. ADFS / AAD Connect - AD readiness for ADFS, effort to fix if not ready? Part of your scope?

2. Infrastructure Readiness - Bandwidth, QOS, Internal Network, Security Devices. Effort to fix if not ready? 

3. Pro-Plus Deployment - Client Readiness. Effort to fix if not ready? Part of your scope?

4. Pro-Plus Deployment - Using Tool. Tool Pre-requiste to work. Effort to fix if not ready? Part of your scope?

5. Pro-Plus Deployment - Manual. How many sites, What sort of help can client extend? Whats your manpower?

6. User Training & Enablement - Your scope? How do you intend to train 12k users? 

7. Sharepoint - "Basic use" is a very scary word. Do you have the actual design they are after? Who know they may have 30 companies with 15 sub-divisions each and each of them want a "Basic" site. so that will be 450 basic sites.  Do they expect you to setup document libraries, link to meta data, custom search...etc?

8. Intune - how are you planning to register the ipads? Will they want to register iphones and andriods as well?

If Exchange deployment is not your problem, do bear in mind that Office Pro Plus has outlook, which is a component of email access, so this has to be co-ordinated with the Exchange vendor.

Also there is a skype for business client in Office Pro Plus, so the Skype services will be dependent on you installing the Pro Plus to work as well.

Too little details for a rather complex project.