Outlook on Windows 10 not updating inbox, but updating other folders

Copper Contributor

I've tried everything I can think of. My email address is an ATT/Yahoo one (@sbcglobal.net). I have it set up in Outlook on my laptop and my android phone. Everything on the phone works fine. On my laptop (which I don't use frequently), I opened it up the other day and it wouldn't update the inbox. Didn't show pending or anything. Tried the obvious - rebooted, still the same. Tried a plethora of other things: delete OST, repair Office, completely remove and reinstall office, signed on another device, and probably more as I've been working on this for days. 

It's not an access issue - I can set it up and it syncs other folders just fine (archive, trash, and subfolders I have it syncing). It's like it doesn't realize there's anything in my inbox. 

I thought maybe something with my phone was flagging the messages and they weren't being picked up by Outlook on my laptop, so I turned off my phone and sent a test email. No dice. Never showed up on my laptop, but when I restarted my phone it was there so I know it sent. 

I thought maybe it had something to do with how many emails I have in my folders (it's a lot). I cleaned up 10's of thousands of them from my archive folder, deleted items, and cleaned up a lot from my inbox. It's not acting like it's hitting a limit, because it's not bringing over anything from the Inbox folder. 

I did try changing how long it keeps a copy in outlook down to a few days just in case it was overwhelmed by the amount of messages, but again, no luck. 

I've scoured the internet looking for more things to try, but I'm running out of ideas. 

As a side note, I re-added my gmail account after re-installing outlook and it works just fine. 

4 Replies

@jwhart76 

Did you find an answer? I have exactly the same problem!

@Arrow199 I finally did, but I'm going to have to look and see what it was. It was a setting in outlook though. 

It would be very usefull to know that solution.
Been going over your steps as well, and fail to find the reason.
I've sorted to outlook online which actually updates just fine. And haven't used the cached account function for a very long time now.