Office 365 Domain Disable AutoComplete Option

Copper Contributor

I have a client that would like to disable Outlook's Auto-Complete for the whole domain. 

Running Office 365 ProPlus Version 2002 (Build 12527.21104) 

Is there a way either by scripting or registry edit to disable the "Use Auto-Complete" option?  I've already looked in the registry.  We can instruct the users to disable the option but would like to set a policy to enforce the setting.

6 Replies

Just use the reg key:

REG ADD "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences" /t REG_DWORD /v ShowAutoSug /d 0 /f

@Vasil Michev Doesn't seem to work with latest version of Outlook from Office 365.

I have version 

Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (16.0.14026.20270) 64-bit

I've been testing it by editing my PC's registry directly then restarting Outlook, didn't make a difference.  The setting under Options was still checked and able to be changed.

Technically they call it version 19, even though it has a version base of 16 with additional updates that raises the sub-build #.
Would that make a difference?
Does registry setting work for anyone with the same build as mine?

Yep i'm having exact same issue on mine:
Microsoft® Outlook® for Microsoft 365 MSO (Version 2110 Build 16.0.14527.20234) 64-bit
Same issue here...
Microsoft® Outlook® for Mircosoft 365 MSO (16.0.12901.20366) 64-bit

MS seems to have resolved the problem within the last few months.   However only one of the registry paths work, which probably is how MS had intended it.   I believe the path is the one off of Policy but it has been a while so I forget exactly which.

Looking back and checking my registry, try reg path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Preferences

Note the underlined key in the path.   This is key (pun intended).