SOLVED

Exchange Online Rules (Reject but allow message to be delivered)

Iron Contributor

We're getting email with a lot of vulgarity and I been ask to:

-Allow the message to proceed to recipient but modified Subject indicating this message contains vulgarity

-Send an NDR/Rejected message to the sender with info on why it was rejected

I was able to create a rule to modified the Subject and I created a second rule that will send an NDR with a custom message. The issue I'm having, when I send the message with vulgarity body or subject, the message doesn't get sent to the recipient with a modified header but gets rejected and NDR is send to sender.

How can I setup an Exchange Online rule that will allow the message to be delivered to recipient with a Modified Header, at the same time send a NDR/Reject to the sender indicating the email contain vulgarity.

Thank You,

Larry

2 Replies

You can't, since you have selected to reject the message any subsequent actions such as changing the subject will be ignored.

best response confirmed by Larry Jones (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I was able to set up an Exchange Online Rule that will allow the message flow to recipient with an appended Subject [*Vulgarity*]. Within the same rule I added a BCC to a mailbox. The Mailbox was created with auto-reply can response, allowing the user to receive the email and send a reply to the sender.

It all worked great excepts my list of Bad Words. The list contain words commonly used like "balls" creating a lot of false positive, will need to fine tune the list.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Larry Jones (Iron Contributor)
Solution

I was able to set up an Exchange Online Rule that will allow the message flow to recipient with an appended Subject [*Vulgarity*]. Within the same rule I added a BCC to a mailbox. The Mailbox was created with auto-reply can response, allowing the user to receive the email and send a reply to the sender.

It all worked great excepts my list of Bad Words. The list contain words commonly used like "balls" creating a lot of false positive, will need to fine tune the list.

View solution in original post