Can't rollback an office update in Office 365

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I am having a strange problem with rolling back to an earlier office click-to-run update in my Outook 2016 (32-bit). I've done this a 1000 times before because we have an application that's only compatible with this particular build and version. But for some reason, I can't get it to downgrade.

So after I disable automatic updates in Outlook I run these commands from an elevated command prompt:

COMMANDS:

This command takes you to the right directory for the update:

cd %programfiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun

This command starts the rollback process to the build and version I need. Notice I'm rolling it back to build 16, version 7870.2031:

officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.7870.2031

But when I press enter, it says "Checking for updates" and then it throws out this error:

Screen Shot 2018-05-08 at 4.41.21 PM.png

So basically the server tells me it's already updated, even though I'm trying to downgrade the version.

By the way, this is on a Windows 10 Pro system, running Office 365.

Any help would be appreciated!!

1 Reply

Perhaps they removed that specific version? From what I can see, it corresponds to a Monthly channel build that's over an year old by now, so maybe try a more recent one, or one of the "deferred" channel versions as detailed here: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Version-and-build-numbers-of-update-channel-releases-ae9424...