Whiteboard Not Displaying for iOS Teams App

Copper Contributor

We have whiteboard enabled for our organization and we are able to use it directly from the whiteboard website, or the whiteboard iOS app.

We are also able to use whiteboard in a Teams call (3 or more people) from the Teams Mac and Windows clients.

However, when joining a call from Teams for iOS, the whiteboard option is missing.

It appears that this functionality should be available:

https://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-teams-for-ios-adds-whiteboard-collaboration-support-new-icon-a...

In the iOS release notes from the app store, version 1.0.72 from April 2019 includes "Collaborate on a Microsoft Whiteboard during a meeting"

Any thoughts on why this wouldn't display?

6 Replies

@tyler-tillage We are also having this issue.  Did you find a solution?

@dawngCAU I have not found a solution. I left a review on the app with the same note and haven't received a response.

@tyler-tillageI am having the same issue. We are using Teams in a virtual classroom setting due to COVID-19, and iOS users are unable to access the Whiteboard in a Meeting. I haven't found a solution yet.

Does anyone know if this is a dropped feature or regression in the iOS app? Did it work in a previous version?

@tyler-tillage I had the same issue. After starting a meeting using teams on my desktop, I used the share whiteboard option (selected the up arrow to share and then on the far right selected whiteboard) but the iPad user in the meeting couldn’t get the whiteboard for some reason - not sure how to fix this?

A (partial) workaround I used was to install the Microsoft whiteboard application (downloaded  from the Microsoft store) and start that application on my desktop. Then in teams in a meeting,  instead of using the share whiteboard option, I used share window (and selected the window corresponding to the running Microsoft whiteboard application). Sharing the window of the whiteboard application works and the iPad user was able to see what I write on the whiteboard application (though they cannot write on it). Not ideal and read only for iOS though.

@tyler-tillage 

I do have the same issue. It would be very helpful if this could be added really quickly. 

@Unique_academic 

I did it the other way around. The iPad user shared the desktop, opened the Whiteboard App and invited the chat members to the whiteboard - should also work if the desktop user invites the iPad user but it is still not a good workflow so.