SOLVED

Teams Video call Custom Backgrounds - Release date?

Iron Contributor

Hi,

Is there a release date for Teams custom backgrounds for use on video calls?

It was announced earlier this year with a release date of "later this year" but I've seen nothing more concrete since?

Thanks

Paul

55 Replies

oops 27 K ... something is definitely not right @PJR_CDF 

It's almost April and looks like the feature is still not available? Hope this comes out soon as everyone else in this thread have reiterated. Thanks for starting this thread @PJR_CDF 

@Jorge Carvalho 
Thanks for the suggestion,
but you have to keep in mind company policy .
Enterprise needs to be cautious with Information Security and Licencing , so no room for such workarounds ...

Although happy for the custom background integrated with blur feature, it doesn't sound like they will have a Green Screen option like in Zoom.  In Zoom when you do not use a Green Screen the image can get distorted when user moves.  So the Green Screen option allows a better viewing experience if you have a solid green background...I use it with just a piece of old green fabric my wife had laying around.  Sorry to digress...any hoot, will be interesting to see how well the customer background works and see how it handles movement distortions. @PJR_CDF teams-backgrounds.png.jpg

@troberge 
as, due to the coronavirus global lockdown , millions are forced to WFH. 
We (or I , to speak for myself) do not seek for the perfect solution at this moment.
It's true though that, judging from viewing the demo,
handling movement distortions was not very encouraging.   

oh yes - 100% agree @GVidalis 

@troberge  Read that closely -- the current roadmap release is significantly lacking -- MS gives you 8 canned images to choose from, no ability to select your own image.

@cknight725, while it might be true that 8 canned backgrounds are coming out at least it is a start for now.  According to the M365 admin center it is starting to roll out.

@PJR_CDF 

I've figured out how to use a custom background.

Save your image /s in the uploads folder for teams.

Mine was located here:

C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads

Then in teams; click the three dots > Show Background Effects

The pictures you added should be there with the included default backgrounds

Good Luck!

S

@seanwindrem Have you verified whether the far side attendees can see your picture?

The 3 dots that you are referring to, would those be in the left Nav?  I only see apps. @seanwindrem 

@Scott Tupper, I believe @seanwindrem is referring to the three dots, more menu within the call.  Backgrounds is rolling out and so you may not have that option yet.  I don't have but here is a image.

TeamsMtgMenu1.png

@seanwindrem 

thanks Sean, 

My trail ended at Teams ... then went to logs .... Oh well = I will just keep waiting. Still interested in why so low in Likes but Views are OTT.

Any ideas?

@Jeffrey Allen The largest software company in the world adds a "feature" to roadmap that is 1+ years behind a $20 one-time piece of software like ChromaCam or a free piece of software like Zoom - its really ludicrous IMO ...

@cknight725, you are right, however, Microsoft Teams is much more that Zoom and ChromaCam and they've been rolling out a lot of features in this past year!

@Jeffrey Allen @Scott Tupper @philliplyle @Lenka_ 

Thanks Jeff;

Yes, the three dots i was referring to was the 'More Actions' button at the bottom of the call window

I was going back and forth with someone else and it looks like you're right, this is still being rolled out.

Not sure how i got the special version *Shrug*

But this is what it looks like. 

seanwindrem_3-1586210699914.png

You're lucky! Can't wait for the roll out to our tenant!