Teams switching back to old version on mac

Copper Contributor

Hi, I'm on Mac Mojave 10.14.5. Since Teams released the new version with an updated logo, etc a while back, it's been regularly failing back to an older instance of the product. Here's how it goes:

- I get a grey banner telling me to install the latest update

- I install; it goes smoothly and the new instance opens

- About three days later, Teams crashes

- When I re-open it, it's the old instance again. I have to re-install the new one.

This is a pain in and of itself, but it's a much greater pain that I can't video chat on the old instance, so I have to re-install. Occasionally this crashing happens right before a meeting, which is a huge waste of my and my teammates' time.

8 Replies
I would start by uninstalling Teams - clear all Teams cache folders located here:

Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams

And then do a re-install

Adam

@adam deltinger Great, thanks Adam. Tried that. I'll post here if the problem persists.

Yes! Please let us know for future reference!!

Adam

@dmbgle Did that work? I am having the same problem. I tried it and it reverted back to what it was doing before.

@adam deltinger 

Are there additional steps I can try? I followed the suggestions here and it did not help. I went even further and search and removed all references to Teams on the computer.

The version it keeps reverting to is 1.2.00.6957. I have installed both 1.3.00.33671 and 1.4.00.4971.

I ran `sudo find / -type d -name "*Teams*" -print 2>/dev/null` from Terminal and ended up removing the following directories:

rm -rf /Applications/Microsoft Teams.app
rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Teams
rm -rf ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams 
rm -rf /private/var/folders/qn/8x0qv4616tx8p28q08rl2jhm0000gp/T/Teams
rm -rf /private/var/folders/qn/8x0qv4616tx8p28q08rl2jhm0000gp/T/Microsoft\ Teams\ Helper
rm -rf /private/var/folders/qn/8x0qv4616tx8p28q08rl2jhm0000gp/T/Microsoft\ Teams\ Helper\ \(Renderer\) 
rm -rf ~/Library/Logs/Microsoft Teams
rm -rf ~/Library/Logs/Microsoft Teams\ Helper
rm -rf ~/Library/Logs/Microsoft Teams\ Helper\ \(Renderer\)

The next morning it had reverted back to version 1.2.00.6957. This pattern continues every day.

Did you ever find a solution? I followed these instructions and they did not work. I have to re-install daily.

@zmelnickpsi No. Sadly not. In the end I replaced my Mac and got my computer taken out of inTune (so it's unmanaged). The problem went away but I'm not sure why.

If you can stomach it, I'd recommend starting with a fresh OS install. I wondered whether it had something to do with the fact that I installed different versions of Office – some with and some without Teams bundled.