SOLVED

Teams Notification for Sharepoint News - how to disable it?

Copper Contributor

Since last week, we in Germany have automatically received a Teams notification when news is published in Sharepoint, regardless of who wrote the message or whether I am even interested in it. How can I stop this? I couldn't find anything about it in the Teams settings. Can this be turned off company-wide?

6 Replies
Sounds like an owner has added a SharePoint news connector or workflow somewhere in the channel.
best response confirmed by ulmoshare (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I would like to know this too. MS seem to think this will be helpful, but it is annoying my users who are getting notifications about News that isn't relevant to them. It seems that they receive it because MS deems them to be "working with" the News item creator.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/viva/connections/mobile-notifications-viva-connections

So far all I can glean is that you can't turn it off. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

Try this. It might work, but it affects all the notifications from Sharepoint to other apps, such as SharePoint. This

You can follow the steps to block notifications.
1. Go to Settings in the SharePoint admin center and sign in with an account with admin permissions for your organization.
2. Select the Notifications setting for SharePoint.
3. Clear Allow notifications.

Second Option:
You can also control this setting in PowerShell by using Set-SPOTenant -NotificationsInSharePointEnabled.

It is disheartening to see MS releasing features and products without appropriate control and forcing users to find a workaround. It should be user's decision to adopt a feature or not not by forcing on users.

We have the same problems. It seems that you cannot turn this off company-wide https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/viva/connections/mobile-notifications-viva-connections "There is no organization-wide method for an administrator to control Viva Connections notifications."

@ulmoshare 

As some of you have mentioned. You cannot turn it off globaly. However, you can turn it off per client.

Go to your options and select notifications. Scroll all the way down to "apps" and disable Viva Connections. Or specify what you want notifications on.

BrianHansen2455_0-1724230025459.png

I like this feature in gerneral....but..... we have one test-site where we show new content-creator-users how to write news. This news are "not serious tests". For THIS site I don't want any notifications at all because it confuses other members of this site.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ulmoshare (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I would like to know this too. MS seem to think this will be helpful, but it is annoying my users who are getting notifications about News that isn't relevant to them. It seems that they receive it because MS deems them to be "working with" the News item creator.
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/viva/connections/mobile-notifications-viva-connections

So far all I can glean is that you can't turn it off. I'm hoping I'm wrong.

View solution in original post