SOLVED

Teams is trash

Copper Contributor

No one works anymore, otherwise I would have a chat box in my meeting right now. Zoom must be bleeding edge technology to have chat in their meetings. Microsoft market cap is 2 trillion, but a chat box in Teams is just...too much for them to handle. "Clear your cache" "Download the desktop app" blah blah blah. Have never had this problem with ANY OTHER PLATFORM. It's not me, it's you. Is this the decade when Microsoft finally gets it together?

6 Replies

@jsmith5464 Not trying to defend Microsoft here but I personally enjoy working in Teams. Anyways, just to clarify something here; all Microsoft Teams meetings have a chat box, whether you're having 1:1 meeting, channel meeting, Teams meeting through outlook, a webinar, a live events...etc. all MS Teams meeting have a chat box for members to use during the meeting, UNLESS the chat box was disabled on purpose by an IT administrator (Teams admin) through a meeting policy or by the meeting organizer if they were allowed to do so by the Teams administrator. these are simple settings that can be checked and changed by anyone with access to the Teams admin center or even by a help desk support team if they can access your Teams and outlook meeting settings.

@AwsAyad 

There were people in the meeting who had chat available to them and people who did not. It was totally random. I understand it is a simple fix. It's always a simple fix. But these simple problems just can't help but simply crop up and cannot be simply fixed until after the meeting. If it is so simple why do these issues exist at all? 

best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution
I understand your frustration but I highly recommend reporting this to your M365 administrators. Have them check to see if there are custom meeting policies in place assigned to certain users including yourself that can affect your Teams meeting experience, otherwise, this inconsistent behavior is unusual to have, I don't recall having to deal with anything similar for meetings between internal users (all from the same company) but it can happen if the organizer is a guest user (from external organization) and that org have applied certain rules on their meetings that can cause this type of behavior.

@jsmith5464  By some chance, are the people who don't have access to chat "guests" in your organization?  Teams is set up to limit guest access, but you can fix that: Guest access in Microsoft Teams - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

I tried to join a meeting and when I clicked on "join as guest" nothing was happening. When I tried to join from the app both from phone and PC, there was no join meeting option. If it existed it must have beem hidden somewhere. Very negative first impression. Very disappointed.
You forgot the multitenant torture: (not only related to Teams)
External users cannot be shared a shared folder, a Power Automate PA process
Cannot see shared sharepoint as a local org user (in PA, when syncing folders to desktop)
You cannot see all your chats in the same place. If you have a teams license all your chats should live at your tenant. Why it does depends on who opens the chat. If you are in the conversation, you are authorised to read and write,
And many more

Solve multitenant pandemonium please MS
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution
I understand your frustration but I highly recommend reporting this to your M365 administrators. Have them check to see if there are custom meeting policies in place assigned to certain users including yourself that can affect your Teams meeting experience, otherwise, this inconsistent behavior is unusual to have, I don't recall having to deal with anything similar for meetings between internal users (all from the same company) but it can happen if the organizer is a guest user (from external organization) and that org have applied certain rules on their meetings that can cause this type of behavior.

View solution in original post