SOLVED

Teams Direct Routing in Carrier Model - Trunk Users

Copper Contributor

Hi Team,

In the documentation for the Teams Direct Routing carrier model, it states that in order to activate the customer trunk - for example, sbc1.customers.carrier.com - we need to create a user such as trunk@sbc1.customers.carrier.com and assign an E1, E3 or E5 license.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/direct-routing-sbc-multiple-tenants#activate-the-sub...

We do this for all of our customers when we set them up, but they are resistant to leave these licenses in place long term, especially when they're a smaller customer where two additional E1 licenses per month is extremely unattractive.

In my lab I've found that this license can be removed once the trunk has been activated, but I'm unwilling to roll this change out to my customers if it's not a documented feature, and possibly run the risk of an outage.

Has anyone had any experience in this? I'd love to save my smaller customers a few bucks a month.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by LeighHenderson (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Leigh,

It's absolutely fine to remove the license once Direct Routing is up and running. We've never had an issue doing this.

Thanks @andrewinfinitel . That was my hunch too, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be walking into a minefield down the line. 

Hi @andrewinfinitel ! May be this user also be deleted after removing the license?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by LeighHenderson (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi Leigh,

It's absolutely fine to remove the license once Direct Routing is up and running. We've never had an issue doing this.

View solution in original post