SOLVED

Teams and Outlook Group file locations

Copper Contributor

Is there a way to see the "top level" SharePoint folders in the Teams "files" link and not just each Channel's folder?

When you are in Outlook and upload an email attachment to the SharePoint site you made for your Team/Group the file doesn't show up in Teams. When you go to SharePoint you notice that there is a sub-folder for each Channel but everything being uploaded from Outlook just goes to the top level folder and therefore is not visible in Teams App.

3 Replies
best response confirmed by blessard (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,

This is why when creating M365 Groups from the Teams side, visibility is hidden in Outlook by default as the interactions are not the same.

With Teams being the more modern way, I personally would just stick to interacting via Teams.

You can also email into channels, so that could be a good way of getting your attachments in.

Now for the more helpful response to your situation. You could add a Tab to a Document Libray, in this instance the default document library of the SharePoint site backing your Team.

Or even add a link within the files tab via add cloud storage and choose SharePoint.

You could also surface the necessary libraries on a page within SharePoint and surface that via a tab also.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Thanks

Henry

@HenryPhillipsNimbitechThanks, I was able to "+ Add Cloud Storage" in the Files tab of Teams. At least now I have a link to the "Top Level" folder of the Group Documents. It does create a strange loop feature back into the Channel documents.

I am dealing with a multi-generational / multi-skill level group; on one side very much into Teams, the phone apps, chat, and sharing content in OneDrive, the other can barely check their email on their computer let alone their phones!

Hi @blessard ,

I hear you 1000% and understand that ideal ways of working are not always the practical and feasible way of working when it comes down to end users. But all we can do is show them the possibilities and how it can make their lives easier and once they stumble on that 1 thing that is so simple but life changing to them, they will not look back I am sure :)

I can imagine adding it as cloud storage does as it is kind of inception but hey, if it does the job who is anyone to say it is wrong. Not ideal, yes but not wrong.

Thanks

Henry

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by blessard (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Hi,

This is why when creating M365 Groups from the Teams side, visibility is hidden in Outlook by default as the interactions are not the same.

With Teams being the more modern way, I personally would just stick to interacting via Teams.

You can also email into channels, so that could be a good way of getting your attachments in.

Now for the more helpful response to your situation. You could add a Tab to a Document Libray, in this instance the default document library of the SharePoint site backing your Team.

Or even add a link within the files tab via add cloud storage and choose SharePoint.

You could also surface the necessary libraries on a page within SharePoint and surface that via a tab also.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

Thanks

Henry

View solution in original post