Teams alternative?

Copper Contributor

i need a program that does the same thing that teams does and connects to the teams server, anybody have something else they are using other than teams?

9 Replies
Hello,
The Teams community is here:
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/ct-p/MicrosoftTeams

just curious, is there any reason not to use the official client?

@HotCakeXi dont like microsoft office, mainly it is a resource hog, no customization for the install or the programs, its basically here's what we're doing and that's what you're getting, i have a small tablet/laptop that i love to use but it has a small hard drive and not much ram and it already has windows 10 on it so 50% of the hard drive is full and i usually only have about 500mb of ram that's free at any given time out of 4gigs and on a 13" touch screen most of the tool bars are full of junk that i don't use and now with office 365  don't even get to choose which 1's are shown

Every program has a set of minimum hardware requirements and recommended hardware requirements, Office is not exempt from this.

It's okay if you love something, but you gotta know that technology doesn't stop progressing. I bought a laptop back in 2009, it was Sony and it had 4GB RAM, now after 11 years it's a potato so I upgraded to something with 16GB RAM.
4GB is really low, even phones have more RAM than that.

if you insist on using your current laptop then your best options are to use Office online and Teams online.

@HotCakeX it's not old, it's a surface pro 6, so its not old, and its not the technology that i have a problem, i do have my A+ cert, network+ cert, i have an older MOU Cert and kept up on the development has the microsoft office have evolved over the past 20 years, its the office product itself, they mainly aren't reliable anymore, i cant even load the web browser version without getting errors, corel office is so much better, like this web site, i cant even check messages on because microsoft can't even do that right anymore, how can i not have permission to check my own messages, lol and your wondering why i'm looking for something other than teams, its not that looking for something other than teams, i'm looking for something that actually works...

Mike0973_0-1586110068310.png

Mike0973_1-1586110184377.png

teams crash-edge (2).png

@Mike0973 

Spoiler

@Mike0973 wrote:

@HotCakeX it's not old, it's a surface pro 6, so its not old, and its not the technology that i have a problem, i do have my A+ cert, network+ cert, i have an older MOU Cert and kept up on the development has the microsoft office have evolved over the past 20 years, its the office product itself, they mainly aren't reliable anymore, i cant even load the web browser version without getting errors, corel office is so much better, like this web site, i cant even check messages on because microsoft can't even do that right anymore, how can i not have permission to check my own messages, lol and your wondering why i'm looking for something other than teams, its not that looking for something other than teams, i'm looking for something that actually works...

Mike0973_0-1586110068310.png

Mike0973_1-1586110184377.png

teams crash-edge (2).png

Sorry but are you really looking for a solution/help or just want to mix things up and laugh?

that error message is from the Microsoft Tech Community, you should know it, now that you said you have all those certificates.

also looks like Surface pro has 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and you chose the 4GB version..well..the brand name is not important anymore, the amount of RAM makes it unfit for the modern operations.
my phone has 8GB RAM and it's not even a flag ship, just a mid range phone..

Microsoft Office is solid and it works, but if you want to intentionally use low specs hardware with it then you can't blame it for not working properly. I neither work for Microsoft nor Office, only speaking with my common sense and experience.

I can do the same, install 512MB RAM on my system then try to install corel or any 3rd party app that you think works, and then show you that it doesn't work. but would my argument be valid? of course not.

Microsoft Teams has an online version, it works inside browser.

@HotCakeX no laughing at all, you seen the stats for my little pro, it works fine for what i bought it to do, and i live paycheck to paycheck so buying a slightly better 1 was not an option, and yes the first 2 errors are from the support community, i was trying to check my messages and i get an error "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action", its a website, how can i not have sufficient privileges to check my own messages, the other is why i'm looking for 3rd party software that actually works, we both know that if i try to down office 365, 70,000 (exaggerating) software programs are going to come with it and that's going to be the end of my little pro running stable, the web version doesn't work for some reason, i've tried to run it in all 4 major browser IE, Chrome, Edge, and Firefox, to get the same problem with the very basic troubleshooting, dumping out cashe, clearing cookies, running up dates, the usual, now i have a team meeting today that i have to watch at 1:00pm eastern time any i don't have a working team program, 3 days of searching and i cant find anything, web version won't connect, i downloaded countless programs just to see if something else would run and let me join a teams meeting and i've gotten nowhere and i've asked if we could use cisco and got told that the company decided to buy the office 365 and teams was included and that what the teams meeting supervisor was using, office 365 is NOT going to run on 500 megs of ram and most likely is not going to install the 7 gigs of drive space that i have left, so i have 5 hours to find a solution that i spent 3 days looking for so i'm most likely not going to be able to watch this teams meeting which is very important for my job...

@Mike0973 Hello! I'm going to move this conversation to the Microsoft Teams space, since the Community Discussion space you've posted in is intended only for conversations about the Microsoft Tech Community website you're participating in. Thanks!

@Mike0973 

Spoiler

@Mike0973 wrote:

@HotCakeX no laughing at all, you seen the stats for my little pro, it works fine for what i bought it to do, and i live paycheck to paycheck so buying a slightly better 1 was not an option, and yes the first 2 errors are from the support community, i was trying to check my messages and i get an error "You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action", its a website, how can i not have sufficient privileges to check my own messages, the other is why i'm looking for 3rd party software that actually works, we both know that if i try to down office 365, 70,000 (exaggerating) software programs are going to come with it and that's going to be the end of my little pro running stable, the web version doesn't work for some reason, i've tried to run it in all 4 major browser IE, Chrome, Edge, and Firefox, to get the same problem with the very basic troubleshooting, dumping out cashe, clearing cookies, running up dates, the usual, now i have a team meeting today that i have to watch at 1:00pm eastern time any i don't have a working team program, 3 days of searching and i cant find anything, web version won't connect, i downloaded countless programs just to see if something else would run and let me join a teams meeting and i've gotten nowhere and i've asked if we could use cisco and got told that the company decided to buy the office 365 and teams was included and that what the teams meeting supervisor was using, office 365 is NOT going to run on 500 megs of ram and most likely is not going to install the 7 gigs of drive space that i have left, so i have 5 hours to find a solution that i spent 3 days looking for so i'm most likely not going to be able to watch this teams meeting which is very important for my job...

Office 365 doesn't have any software bundles, it's just pure Office programs and based on your subscription, it can have Word, Excel, Powerpoint (the main programs) or in case you have pro plus subscription it will come with Skype for business, OneNote 2016 and more.

now that's really strange that you can't access Office online. can you share the link that you use to access Office online (and fail) with me here?

a screenshot of the error message in browser that says you can't access Office online will also be very helpful

The error you have honestly has nothing to do with your computer or your hardware. It looks alike a guest error that happens usually when you accept an invite or someone sent you a deep link to direct into a channel that you won’t have access to on a wrong account and try to go back to it later or something thereof.

If it’s just a Teams meeting someone else is hosting you don’t have to setup Teams at all you use the join link they send you and click “join with web client” you can just put in a a name and go. Not login or setup required.

Can you share a bit more about how you got to where you are trying to go etc? At this point hardware is ruled out IMO. It’s not an ideal setup but 4 gig will still work fine with SSD storage it’s just not optimal. also you don’t have to Install all of office to use the Teams client. Even thought it isn’t required at all for a meeting, just an FYI