SOLVED

SharePoint/Teams channel folder - default location change?

Copper Contributor

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/microsoft-teams/moving-teams-folder-locations-on-sharepoint/m...

Please briefly read above before asking questions or I'll flag you for irrelevancy.  I didn't want to resurrect a dead thread that may have changed in the last two years.

Is it possible to configure the default location for team channel folders to be created within a site?  My digging thus far suggests that there have been no changes toward this being possible in the last two years, and that the recommendation from above is still the best option to the community.

Workaround being:  that one create a "sister" site for the purpose of containing the channel folders separate from the primary document library, then creating team app links that thread through the channels to link back to the primary parent site.

Confirmation please?

6 Replies
best response confirmed by darrellbunger78 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @darrellbunger78,

your understanding is correct.

By default, Microsoft Teams creates folders in the root directory of the associated SharePoint site, corresponding to the channels in the team.

This default behavior (still) cannot be modified.

The workaround you metioned allows you to keep your primary document library uncluttered while still maintaining the connection between your Teams channels and the relevant documents. 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

Changing the default location for SharePoint/Teams channel folders involves a few steps. Here's a general guide:

1. **In Microsoft Teams:**
- Navigate to the desired channel.
- Click on the ellipsis (three dots) next to the channel name.
- Select "Open in SharePoint."
- On the SharePoint site, click on "Documents" on the left sidebar.
- Choose the "Settings" gear icon, then select "Library settings."
- Click on "Advanced settings."
- Under "Document Library," you can change the default folder name or even create a new folder.

2. **In SharePoint:**
- Go to the SharePoint site.
- Click on "Documents" on the left sidebar.
- Select the channel folder you want to modify.
- Choose "Library settings" from the ribbon.
- Click on "Advanced settings" and modify the default folder name or location.

Please note that permissions and access control might play a role, so ensure that users have the necessary rights to the new location Real Football Unlimited Money MOD APK .

Remember to exercise caution when making changes, and it's advisable to communicate any modifications to your team to ensure a smooth transition.

Leon,

I really appreciate the speedy and thorough response. I'll submit as a feature request because this isn't my first request about it, it's just the first serious request with a clutter case example bad enough for one of my customers to ask for the fix. And it is, to be kind, not pretty. I'll let them know the scope and see how they want to proceed :)

Thanks again!

[EDIT 240115, still best option; cannot get chwaji's instructions to produce a default location, let alone one that can be changed]

Hi chwaji, I saw this second, and this looks like the exact "under the hood" modification being asked of us, I just did not see it 'under the hood' because i never looked in that spot. Let me look, see if the behavior is what we need, and I'll get back to you on this. This will be simpler than the other "sister" site fix, though could potentially not be as seamless, as it would require additional steps at time of channel set ups... but that is logistics and not functionality; not that I don't want the hours involved in moving to a sister site and relinking everything, cause that's a nice project, but this would be a better solution cost wise for our client, with a couple extra setup steps to train people on for new channels, which don't happen that often.

@chwaji I was able to understand your instruction flow but it seems these steps are not quite the same as things are now?

In any case, I was able to navigate to a channel folder, open it in sharepoint, modify the library settings for the folder and do not see any advanced option to change the default folder location.  

Do you have tips, am I missing it perhaps?  I will look again and make sure I am not in the root level library setttings.

Thank you for the information. It's helpful to know that while Microsoft Teams automatically creates folders in the root directory of the associated SharePoint site, there's no default modification option. Your workaround suggestion to keep the primary document library organized without losing the Teams channel connection is appreciated Instagram Attitude Shayari & Royal Status in Hindi 2024 .I'll be sure to mark as Best Response and Like for others to find the solution easily.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by darrellbunger78 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @darrellbunger78,

your understanding is correct.

By default, Microsoft Teams creates folders in the root directory of the associated SharePoint site, corresponding to the channels in the team.

This default behavior (still) cannot be modified.

The workaround you metioned allows you to keep your primary document library uncluttered while still maintaining the connection between your Teams channels and the relevant documents. 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue.
This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item.

If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Kindest regards,

Leon Pavesic
(LinkedIn)

View solution in original post