SharePoint team says the Teams Channel rename bug is fixed, but it doesn't appear to be

Iron Contributor

The SharePoint Roadmap Pitstop: March 2021 post (posted 3/31) included the following:

PhoenixMS_0-1617802001323.png

I've tested this in two different tenants (one standard, one early release) and the issue has not been resolved. There's no corresponding roadmap item, and no update has been posted to the two UserVoice items here and here.

Has anyone had luck seeing this fix in their tenant, or have any more info on when we can expect this to take effect? This is a huge problem that is causing lots of headaches in many orgs and has been on the backlog for around four years, so I'm excited to finally seeing it possibly getting resolved.

28 Replies
Hello! That's major news and it sure sounds strange that this should be fixed without having heard a thing about it! I noticed you replied to the blog, I will certainly follow up on that. Thanks for the heads-up!

Just bumping this, as I was really hoping to hear from the product team on why this long-awaited bug fix was announced as fixed, but seemingly has not been. Thank you!

@PhoenixMS Yes @Mark Kashman really should reply to that, at least in the blog post, as it's far too big news. You can't post something like that and not follow up the questions.

We noted it as beginning to release within the latest roadmap pitstop blog. It is not at complete 100% rollout as of now. The fix was identified and making progress. Thanks for reaching out. The teams are working hard to ensure the integration between SharePoint and Teams is more seamless over time, and it helps to know those who have the updated experience are seeing progress, knowing that others do not have the experience yet. - Mark
Appreciate the response Mark, thanks!
One thing I've noticed is that SharePoint groups-based sites originally created by creating a Team have the feature where it indicates a folder is connected to a Team. But sites created with M365 groups years ago do not display this. I hope that this feature about fixing channel renames works for all groups/teams connected sites.
This item was just added to the Roadmap today - I wonder if this is the peg for this bug fix?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=81945
SharePoint: Updates for Microsoft Teams connected team sites

Every Microsoft Teams team is connected to a SharePoint team site. If you create a private channel, it gets a unique team site. You will see specific updates, including updates to site features, site permissions alignment, site classifications and sensitivity labels, and improvements to the user interface.

@PhoenixMS - Hard to tell what that roadmap item is going to do since it's incredibly vague.

There's now a roadmap item for this issue!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=72211

Microsoft Teams: Pairing the channel and the corresponding SharePoint folder name.

When renaming a Teams’ channel, the corresponding SharePoint folder will be renamed and reflect the new name. This will help create consistency across Microsoft 365 endpoints, making it easier on users to find their files from anywhere. This new feature will be available for all Standard and Private channels. For Standard channels – The corresponding folder in SharePoint will be renamed. For Private channels – The corresponding site name and the folder in SharePoint will be renamed. For legacy Teams channels that were renamed prior to this rollout, there will be no change in experience. When a legacy channel is renamed after this release, it will simultaneously rename the corresponding SharePoint folder.

@ChristianBergstrom 

That's more like it! And way better official channel than in a blog post (no offence Mark). Thanks for @mentioning me!
@PhoenixMS

I've checked the roadmap and now it says "This feature has been updated to reflect new timing" and the new release date is "February 2022".
Federico
Are there any further details on expected behavior for these changes? I've tested by updating both Standard and Private channels in Teams and the folder names have not been updated in SharePoint hours later (although the site name was immediately updated for the Private channel). Yet, if I try to change the folder names directly in SharePoint, I get an error message: "Error: To update this folder, go to the channel in Microsoft Teams." Really frustrating that there is so little info available about this from Microsoft.
same to us
I think it not publish yet
detail in https://admin.microsoft.com/Adminportal/Home#/MessageCenter/:/messages/MC306666
or https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=72211

Key points

Microsoft 365 Roadmap ID:72211.
Timing: late February through late April
Roll-out: tenant level
Control type: admin control
Action: review and assess

For this bug correction, there is still a problem to fix.  After a change in the Team or channel name, there is a delay on the share point update, but this is not so critical.  The main problem is that on the "my Sites" side bar, the old name is still there and don´t get updated at all! @PhoenixMS 

Regarding this bug: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=&searchterms=72211

@PhoenixMS I am trying to resolve a problem similar to what I'm reading here in this message.

A few months back we changed the name of a teams channel from “Youth Groups” to “National Youth Missions”.  When we did that it did not change the file folder host name from “Youth Groups” to “National Youth Missions”.  One of our teammates was trying to correct that and decided to change the name of the folder manually on his Mac through the Finder synced files.  I believe this essentially made the change at the SharePoint location which started a mess.  As I'm sure you know, the name change created the new “National Youth Missions” folder and moved all the files but it disassociated the files from “National Youth Missions” teams channel.  

Now, our “Youth Groups” folder that is hosted in the “National Youth Missions” Team channel is empty.  The original files are still in the new folder that was created called “National Youth Missions” but are not associated with the channel.  We'd like to try and keep the teams channel “National Youth Missions” and change the host folder in that channel to the “National Youth Missions” folder that now holds all the files.  However, we are not sure that is possible or can be fixed.

According to the Microsoft 365 Roadmap site, "For legacy Teams channels that were renamed prior to this rollout, there will be no change in experience. When a legacy channel is renamed after this release, it will simultaneously rename the corresponding SharePoint folder."  I suspect this we are in the no change to experience group since this problem occurred several months ago.  I think I understand and have read things through on this topic but I may have missed something or there is an answer out there I have overlooked.  What recourse do we have to correct this problem?  Thanks!

workaround, but be careful:

1. in MS Teams: rename channel to old name
2. in MS Teams: delete channel
3. in Sharepoint library for teams: move folder for the deleted channel to one drive
4. in MS Teams: create new channel with correct name

result:
no waste in the teams-sharepoint-library and correct names
problem:
missing the old things of the channel (added apps, publications, files)

a really funny behaviour occur when you
1. create a channel 'A'
2. rename 'A' to 'B' and
3. create a second channel 'A' (you can see the files und communication from old 'A' which is now 'B' in the new 'A' as well)
4. rename new 'A' to 'C' it will loose all connections to old 'A'

@Carey_Tuhaka no, the issue is still there. I just tried it. :(