Reporting

Copper Contributor

What is the difference between post and channel messages? Post I am guessing is when you use the Post tab to start a new conversation. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/admin/activity-reports/microsoft-teams-user-activity?...

5 Replies
They are the same! Just different names for it!

Adam

@adam deltinger When I run the Teams report they are different numbers for each person.

What I mean is both Post and channel messages are showing different numbers from each other. So I don't understand how they could be the same. This info is coming from the Analytics & reports/Usage reports/Teams user activity.

Hi@Mark Smith  I think the number of messages are the unique number of original messages and the number of posts reflect the original message plus subsequent replies.  I've not done the analytics in Teams but I do with other programs and that's how it's set up there.  Would that make sense based on the numbers you're seeing?

@Mark Smith 

My analytics report still says Chat Messages and Channel Messages, which is easier to understand. Not sure if there is some more renaming going on. I would imagine Post messages is the same as Channel Messages but until it changes in my report I couldn't say for sure.