"Join Microsoft Teams Meeting" link from Outlook doesn't launch "Meeting Now" screen on Teams app

Copper Contributor

Hello,

The case I'm facing at the moment is the following :

I'm a Microsoft 365 Business Standard user. I collaborate with 1 partner who has an different O365 tenant. They also use Microsoft Teams. I'm not set as a Guest on their Tenant.

They send me a calendar invite generated from Teams, not from Outlook.

On my computer I runs W10 latest build with all patches available installed from 08-mai-2020, Outlook with the latest version available installed from 08-mai-2020, Microsoft Teams with the latest version available installed from 08-mai-2020.

What happened:

I received an email with the Microsoft Teams Meeting invite from my partner and accepted the meeting appointment.

Scenario 1 (the most logical from an user perspective) :

I click on the link "Join Microsoft Teams Meeting" from Outlook in the meeting details, it triggers the application Microsoft Teams. The application Microsoft Teams is already running and is connected with my account to my tenant. The net result is that nothing happens. ???

Scenario 2 :

I copy the link "Join Microsoft Teams Meeting" from the meeting details and paste it into Microsoft Edge, the URL is processed and I land on a page asking me to either Download the Windows app or Join on the web instead. There is also a sort of popup on the top of the page telling " This site is trying to open Microsoft Teams" with 2 buttons: Open/Cancel. When I click on Open, it triggers the application Microsoft Teams and I'm entering the video conference screen "Meeting Now" then I click on "Join now" and it works perfectly (and I'm still connected with my account on the application Microsoft Teams).

Scenario 3 :

I copy the link "Join Microsoft Teams Meeting" from the meeting details and paste it into Microsoft Edge, the URL is processed and I land on a page asking me to either Download the Windows app or Join on the web instead. I click to "Join on the web instead" from the browser. I land on the "pre-join-calling" page for anonymous user. I'm being asked to enter my name then I click on the Join now button and it works however I'm without my account context during the conference.

I would expect Scenario 1 and Scenario 2 lead to the same results (as described in scenario 2).
Why the app Microsoft Teams fails to connect to the meeting when I click on the link directly from Outlook (Scenario 1)? This sounds like a bug.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

3 Replies
That’s odd, did it ever worked before?

And what if you try to join the meeting via the Calendar view in Teams, does this works?

I have the identical problem. Did you solve it?

@MikeB22The problem was solved with the help of Microsoft Support indirectly. I had a different problem with Calendar not appearing in Teams. When this problem have been solved the links from Outlook worked fine.

They guided me through a series of steps. (In short / clear the caches from Teams and enabling EWS (Exchange Web Services). EWS was disabled for my tenant for an undetermined reason.