SOLVED

On Premises Data in Dataverse for Teams

Iron Contributor

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this but I am trying to use Power Apps for Teams to create an app that tracks some data for a team.

It seems straightforward to create tables that are stored in the Dataverse for Teams( Which I understand is not the same as Dataverse). However, I need the user to be able to choose data from a list where the data resides in an on premises SQL Server. We do have an on premises data gateway in place.

Is this possible using Power Apps for Teams (Which I understand is not the same as Power Apps)? If so, what is the best way to do it? Can Power Apps for Teams use the on premise table or view directly or is it better to create a table in Dataverse for Teams and periodically refresh the data in the table from the on premises database?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by John Twohig (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@John Twohig 

In order to access OnPrem SQL data, every Power App user needs to have a Power Apps Premium license (like they do with regular Dataverse access).

Without a premium license you cannot access that data directly through Power Apps. So, Dataverse for Teams and Teams Apps will unfortunately not help you in that instance. 

@Schwibach 

Licensing often seems to be the roadblock for many of these things.

Thanks

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by John Twohig (Iron Contributor)
Solution

@John Twohig 

In order to access OnPrem SQL data, every Power App user needs to have a Power Apps Premium license (like they do with regular Dataverse access).

Without a premium license you cannot access that data directly through Power Apps. So, Dataverse for Teams and Teams Apps will unfortunately not help you in that instance. 

View solution in original post