No badge on Teams icon

Copper Contributor

This issue is driving me nuts. 

I get no badge notification on the Teams Icon within teams. When someone posts in a channel in a team, I get the desktop notification, but nothing on either the Teams icon or the taskbar icon. This image shows what I mean. I've got unread messages in channels but no notification. Here you can see I've got an unread chat only and at the moment of snipping there were also unread team chats.

thespike_0-1647525199547.png

I've tried messing with all the notification settings. Everything is turned on. I'm not in Focus mode (that's off). I've tried deleting the app, clearing appdata and localdata of teams stuff and then re-installing. I've tried signing in and out and various combinations of all of the above but no luck,

If someone could solve this it would make me a very happy chap.

11 Replies

@thespike Is there anything in your activity list (as it also doesn't have anything showing either)?

Could you have tuned notifications too far down, so you aren't getting what you want. A new message wouldn't normally create a notification unless you selected channel notifications and set it to notify you on every message.

Hi. I get notifications in there of channel chats that have been commented on AFTER I've said something, but no alert for a new channel chat, or comments on an existing one where I've not commented.

So in the screenshot, there was a new channel chat and I'd not commented on it.

@thespike 

That sounds like the correct default behaviour. If you want to b notified for every new message you can set this either on a per-channel basis or globally for all channels.

Per Channel 

From the ... next to the channel name choose Channel Notifications and All Activity

StevenCollier_0-1647601606095.png

Globally

From settings ... notifications ... Teams and Channels select a custom config. Set Shown and Pinned, All New Posts to Banner and feed.

StevenCollier_1-1647601786889.png

You will then get a notification and entry in your activity stream for every message in your channels.

@Steven Collier And that's how I have everything set, but still no notifications. Here is the channel that had the notification in the original post:

thespike_0-1647609436753.png

and global settings:

thespike_1-1647609497537.png

I've changed the global setting to All Activity to see if that makes a difference, and it doesn't. Nothing I seem to set gives me a badge on the Teams icon when there's an unread chat. 

I'm pretty sure you are meant to get a badge on that icon when there are unread channels.

@thespike No, you will get a badge on the activity feed to show there is a new notification, and that will take you to the new conversation.

@Steven Collier 

I'm convinced that you used to get badges on the teams icon. But following your comment I can't find any doco that confirms that. Even found a few threads I'd not come across where people are asking for the same. It's pretty inconsistent. You have it for one type of chat why not the other?

The problem I've still got though is I don't get notifications in Activity for all new posts only some, even though everything is turned on. Therefore I've got no at-a-glance view of outstanding messages, I have to go and check the teams specifically.

Somethings not right but I can't work out what!

Thanks for your time and direction.

@thespike A simple trick is right click on taskbar and select Taskbar Settings. Enable Badges on Taskbar buttons(if greyed out Disable Use Small Taskbar buttons)

@ashishyadav542  That's already turned on.. I get badges for other apps quite happily.

Thanks! My icons were small and not showing badges on programs on my taskbar!

@thespike did you ever end up figuring out how to fix this? Our team just migrated to Teams and is seeing the exact same behavior despite turning on notifications both globally and for individual chats. Nobody can get a badge to appear on the Teams Icon and we are going nuts too! 

Nope. Never got it working. Get badges for chats and activity but not for messages in actual Teams. Do get stuff on the taskbar for chats and activities. Just wrong that it alerts on some stuff and not others. Can't image what design decision was behind that.